Chapter 7

"I know why you wear that scarf!" a kid said once they had run up to Alina with their friends. Alina looked at them.

"Why?"

''Cause you're bald!"

"I'M NOT BALD!" Alina exclaimed as the kids ran off, laughing. She crossed her arms. "Hmph."

"Ha! They're already calling you 'headwrap head'." Alina turned to see Inej walking towards her. The former sun summoner smiled faintly, and Inej took her hand.

"Do you think that they'll know?"

"Know? About what?"

Alina's eyes were wide, and her tone was desperate.

"It's okay Wylan," Inej soothed. "I meant as in the Dregs."

"Ohhhh." Alina stopped looking terrified.

"Yeah."

"Thought you were talking about something else! Ha."

Inej's eyebrows furrowed. "What did you think I was referencing?"

Alina waved a dismissive hand. "Oh, just the fact that I...fought...the Darkling." Her shoulders sagged, and she stared at the ground.

Inej squeezed Alina's hand, and the latter looked up from the ground to meet her gaze. Today, the Wraith was dressed in a light purple blouse and black trousers. Alina smiled and squeezed back, deciding to lighten up the mood.

"I see you've been making the best of the Little Palace's outfit choices."

Inej flushed. "I like it."

Alina beamed. "Soon, you'll be Inej Ghafa, fashionista! You excited for the ball today?" She asked as the two began to walk down the corridor.

"Yeah! I've never been to a ball before, so I'm a bit nervous."

"That's understandable," Alina said as she turned left. "I'm sure you'll be amazing."

"Have you been to balls before, Wylan?"

Alina realised she was standing in the throne room. It was empty - the silence engulfed her. She remembered the Darkling sitting on his throne, watching her intensely - then pushed the thought away, trying to stop her sweating. She wiped her hand with the back of her forehead and glanced casually around the place, heart beating fast. Alina put a hand on her hip to stop the shaking.

"Ah, no. I've never been to a ball."

"Oh great, maybe we can dance together! - or, I could dance with Jesper. He's an excellent dancer, I think we're going to have dance lessons from now on until the ball, and-hey. Wylan, are you okay?"

Alina didn't speak. Her mouth had gone dry. Her palms were sweating. Her breathing was too fast.

"I-" she choked out.

"Come on," Inej said, placing a hand on Alina's back. "Let's get you into a bath."

Once Alina had bathed, washed herself and gotten changed into fresh clothes, she called Inej in. The Wraith stood behind her, watching as Alina warred with herself, clutching the table and facing away from her friend.

You and I are going to change the world. He'd said that, spun a tale to make her believe it.

But the Darkling has been wrong. It had been only Alina who had changed the world, not him. And I've changed it for the better.

Alina wondered what would happen if she told Inej about her past. It wouldn't be THAT bad, right? Then: get a grip, Alina.

"I...need to tell you something."