Chapter 5

Two days later, Alina found a letter on her desk.

Alina let her wavy white locks fall to her waist as she got to her feet, yawning. She wasn't used to having such early nights - she had become accustomed to the Slat's brawls, the laughter that floated up from downstairs, and the music that made her want to get up from her bed and dance.

Here, in Ravka, she was only met with the rustle of trees and the sound of birdsong. It was a different kind of comfort, but welcome nonetheless.

Padding over to her desk, Alina didn't even bother to sit in her chair as she opened the letter with the letter opener. Maps were sprawled over her desk from last night, from Ravka to Kerch, and one map of the Slat. She'd have to hide that one from Jesper and Inej at some point.

Taking the letter in her hands and opening it, Alina began to read.

Wylan,

Or should I even call you that anymore? I have no idea.

I've looked at your records. There was no Wylan Starev in your unit. You have three days to tell me your real name.

Come back to the Slat soon. There are things that need doing.

Kaz

Alina stared at the first part of the letter.

Or should I even call you that anymore?

"No," she whispered. "No, no, no!"

Kaz had told her himself he hadn't looked at her records. Why had he-?

Get a grip Alina. It's Kaz. He always lies.

Alina gripped the desk, suddenly angry. There was no way she could get back to Kerch in three days. Kaz was just rubbing her lie in her face.

Pursuing her lips, Alina shook her head and went to the bathroom. After she'd brushed her teeth, washed her face and moisturised, Alina sat down to write her letter.

Kaz,

It takes me a week to get back from Ravka. Do not expect me to come back in three days.

Alina thought of something to add, and chewed her lip. Is that the right thing to-oh screw it.

She picked up her pen and added her addition to the letter.

I am Wylan Starev. Check my name again. You must have checked the wrong unit.

Wylan

After getting changed, Alina raced down the corridor and out of the Little Palace, towards the docks. She delivered the letter to the post office, then walked back, basking in the spring warmth.

This is nice, Alina thought. I haven't seen the sun in some time.

When Alina got back, Jesper and Inej were in normal clothes, talking to Genya and David. Alina hummed a tune as she walked past. In the hallway, Tamar touched her arm. Alina looked at her.

"I'm going to start training Inej and Jesper in weaponry today. I think they'll like it - Inej especially. Are you alright with that?"

"Of course," Alina smiled.

"Sol Koroleva," Tamar murmured, putting a fist to her heart. Alina bowed her head before turning back to go to her room. She had to work.

Sol Koroleva. Alina hadn't heard someone say that word in a long time.