021 | holding out for a hero

THEY LANDED, STORM AND SCOTT  carrying Peter out of the runway as Kit stayed by his side

He looked weakly at her, his face bloodied up and his eyes vacant. "I got you," she whispered.

She couldn't imagine how Hank felt right now. She got to have a life, a family with Peter and he was now carrying the love of his life from a plane.

He didn't look at anyone as he walked her through the doors in the back and away from everyone else.

Kit just looked down. She knew that Peter had regenerative powers but was there a point of no return, a time when he wouldn't be able to make it back from his injuries.

"Is Alex here?" He asked, his voice weak and hoarse, his eyes fluttering open slightly to look at his wife.

She chuckled, "Shes upstairs, Jubilee has her, don't you worry," she said, bringing his hand to her lips and kissing it.

"I'm scared," Peter whispered and she sighed, tears welling up in her eyes, "It really hurts babe,"

"You keep your energy Pete, okay, you're gonna be okay," she promised him, her voice shaky but she hoped he hand noticed the worry.

Hank walked in a few minutes later, a blank expression on his face as he had changed back to his normal human form.

"I'll give him a checkup and then you, he probably won't be able to go on missions for a while," Hank explained and she nodded her head.

"Thank you. And I'm sorry about what happened to Raven," she said.

He nodded his head, "You can't change it now," he said but his voice was void of any emotion. He seemed numb.

Hank made sure Peter was okay before checking up on his little sister, finding a shocking discovery whilst Peter was asleep. Something that she kept to herself as she prepared for Ravens funeral.

☆☆☆

SHE STOOD IN THE RAIN, HOLDING
an umbrella in her hand with one hand and Alex in her arms with the other. The young girl was upset, not understanding what was going on.

"We're all at war. At war with ourselves, and Raven had been waging that war most of her life," Charles said as they all stood at the funeral.

It was so strange. That the woman she had known since she was a little girl was now lying in a grave, murdered by their friend whether on purpose or by accident.

Kit looked at the grave, "Raven died doing what she did best, helping a friend in need," Charles said.

She looked down at Alex who had buried her head into Kits shoulder, not wanting to look.

"She is not gone. She lives on, through me, through those she loved, through us, and through the spirit of the x-men,"

"I'm scared mummy," Alex said, the woman heart breaking at the words from her daughter.

She wiped the tears from her face before looking at her daughter, "Don't you worry, we're gonna be okay," she said, putting on a fake smile for the young girl.

Storm, Kurt, Scott and Kit - who was carrying Alex - walked into the hall and the kids looked at them.

"Is it true? Jean killed her?" A little boy, who could propel himself into the air, called Samuel asked.

Scott stepped forward, "She didn't know what she was doing. Jean lost control but she's still our friend," he explained.

But the kids didn't seem convinced.

She walked away with Storm, the two girls leaving Scott and Kurt to talk to each other.

"Alex, Auntie Storm is gonna take you to your room, I'll be up in a couple of minutes," she said, putting the girl down and allowing her to take Storms hand.

She walked downstairs, tears rolling down her cheeks as she leaned against the wall outside of the medical room.

Kit composed herself before walking into the room, seeing that Peter was sitting up slightly, looking tired but alive.

"Hi honey," she said and he smiled at her, holding his hand out. She took it, standing next to him.

"How was the funeral?" He asked, watching ad she pulled up a seat and came and sat with him.

"Alex was upset. She doesn't really understand," she said, taking a deep breath, "But I'm doing okay I guess,"

He reached up, brushing a hair behind her ear and looking at his wife. He couldn't believe that Jean could have killed her, it was only because Raven was closer.

Peter wasn't sure what he'd do if she died. He'd be distraught, heartbroken and unsure what to do with his life if he didn't have her.

"Whats up with you?" He asked, instantly noticing a change to her demeanour.

"What do you mean?" Kit questioned, not understanding how he noticed something was wrong.

"Somethings different, what haven't you told me?" He asked and she chuckled. He knew her better than she knew herself.

"I'm pregnant," she stated and his eyes went wide, a happy smile on his face.

1041 words