Chapter 9: Set in Motion

What was my plan? It was simple really. Lead him on then crush his hopes. I was going to say yes to his proposal, and this time it was going to be me that disappointed him. I lay flat on my bed. My back was aching. I took out my phone.
I would like to meet up again. Tomorrow night for sushi, at 7pm. There's something we need to talk about.
I seemed relaxed but my heart was beating so fast. This was the first time I had ever tried to get anyone back for anything, let alone the guy I kinda liked. I hugged my pillow and closed my eyes for a second and drifted away.

My heart was beating fast. My white dress sweeping the floor as I walked down the isle. I could see him at the end, his amused grin that I had gotten so used to. He held out a hand and stood me in front of him.
"Do you take me to be your lawfully wedded husband?"
"I do. Do you take me to be your wife, til death do us part?"
"I do."
"You May now kiss the bride."
He leaned in.

Beep. Beep. Beep.
I woke up in a cold sweat. Why were my vows so grim?  It was 7 am, normally when I would be getting ready to go see Izaya. But not today. Today I was going to put every effort into seducing that man.
It wasn't about what I wore, it was how I presented myself to him. And I needed to look irresistible. I gave myself a surprisingly long pep talk and finally got started on my preparations.
There was a knock at the door and I promptly made my way to the door. Opening it, I saw Celty standing there. She seemed to take a step back upon seeing me.
What's on your face?
"Hm? Oh," I patted the sheet mask on my face. "This. It's a sheet mask."
I see. Are you going out tonight?
I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I have a date."
There was a pause.
Are you still seeing Izaya?
"Unfortunately, yes."
Even though you know how dangerous it can get?
I put both hands on either of her shoulder. "Don't worry, I won't let myself caught up in anything shady. Besides, you should be warning him. I have plans to break his heart."
There was another pause.
It seems I was worried for no reason. You've got a strong head on your shoulders.
Was that a pun?
"Aw, Celty, were you worried about me?"
Yes, but it seems there was no need.
She patted my head and began making her way down the hallway.
I closed the door. Damn. There were people who were actually worried about me.
Just then, my phone buzzed.
Meet me at the office at 6:30. We'll go from there. (˘ ³˘)
I threw my phone down. What in the hell. What was that emoji? Why was he being so weird? And why was he telling me what to do? I made the plans.
I took a deep breath in and out. It was okay. It wouldn't even affect the plans too much. Besides, it was kinda cute, right? Right?
At long last, 6pm arrived. I had gotten dressed up, not too much but I did decide to wear my nice shoes.
I made my way out to the office. I was surprisingly nervous. This plan that I had been brainstorming since last night was finally falling into motion. Composing myself I made my way up to his door. Hesitantly, I held up a hand to knock on the door, but just as I did, it flew open. I met eyes with an equally surprised Kida, who nodded and walked away with his head down. He looked upset and angry.
"What was he doing here?" I asked without even checking if Izaya was inside. I already knew he'd be smirking at his desk. Namie stood up and glanced between the two of us.
"Nothing, he just wanted to chat," Izaya replied smugly.
"I doubt anyone would meet you just to chat with you."
"That's interesting coming from you, after all, you had no reason to ask about your parents."
I paused. "What do you mean?"
"You already knew everything about them. In fact, isn't that the reason you came here? They left an apartment in your name, and cash."
Of course he'd know. He knows everything. I felt an urge to punch him and rip his hair out but I remained calm. I had bigger plans.
"Whatever, you need to stop messing around with children," I said.
He stood up, grabbing his jacket and making his way towards me. "Whatever you say." He put his jacket on and faced Namie. "You can leave whenever."
She immediately started packing her things up.
He led me out.
"Does she even really work fo you?" I asked glancing back.
He shrugged. "It's complicated."
I noticed the looks we got, walking around together. But it wouldn't matter soon enough. They arrived at the shop and made their way inside taking a seat. To my dismay, the only one there that they knew was Simon, who stared cautiously. I hoped more people would arrive, after all, the more the merrier.
"Say, Y/N-chan, why did you suddenly ask me out tonight?" He asked curiously. He probably already knew why.
"To give you an answer. As well as my own proposal."
"Then can I assume—"
Just then the door slid open to a few familiar faces.
I cleared my throat. "Yes. I will marry you."