Chapter 15: The End

Izaya was a stalker. I knew that much. In fact his whole job was knowing everyone's business. But why had a sniffling child caught his attention? Why had I lingered on his mind enough for him to keep tabs on me? Since he himself was a child! The amount of red flags would deter anyone from marriage. This was Izaya though. And the string of red flags followed behind him. And I was the one crazy enough to go through with it as well. Not that I'd let him know. Till he apologised at least.
And I'd stay firm.
Well that's what I thought.
Izaya hadn't contacted me. One day turned into one week, then a few months. Life had been uneventful and peaceful. It was starting to make me restless. But if this was some sort of mind game Izaya was playing with me, I wasn't going to fall for it.
I made my way out into the street, rubbing my hands together. The weather was starting to cool, the world around had begun adopting that desaturated hue of Winter.
I hadn't been really bumping into anyone either. Except Celty, or the other neighbours. Celty stopped in front of the building, right in front of me.
"I'm glad I caught you here!"
"Good morning Celty, did you need anything from me?"
"No, I just wanted to ask something."
"Oh? About what?"
She paused. "Izaya. I haven't really seen him around. Do you know anything?"
I frowned. "Why would you assume I would know anything?"
"That's true. He never tells anyone anything. I'm just worried he might be scheming something."
I nodded. "I'll let you know if I hear anything." Just as I was about to turn away she stopped me.
"Hang on." She reached into a paper bag that she was taking home and pulled out a pair of black gloves. "Take these, they're really warm."
I smiled softly. "Thanks."
A nice mundane interaction. I made my way down the street. There was a cafe near the park that served some pretty famous strawberry tarts that looked to-die-for. Today was going to be some me time. I was going to treat myself perhaps to brighten my mood.
But it wasn't really me time in the end. All I could really think about was Izaya. How could I make him apologise and move past all this? To be honest, did I even need him to apologise? Without him, life was easy and simple. It was the mundane I expected and needed. I was having difficulty finding a job however. The thought that my rejections from the various companies could be the work of Izaya had crossed my mind but I shook it off. The man didn't even show his face around me anymore. He had probably moved onto another target at this point.
I was going to go to the cafe but my stomach brought me to a familiar sushi restaurant.  I ordered some fatty tuna and sat down cupping my face in my hands. The odds of running into one of the more eccentric residents of the area increased when I came here. I waited for a while. My meal came and ended and I uneventfully left the restaurant. There was a sinking feeling in my gut. Where was everyone? It felt as though something had fallen apart.
What was I even doing here anymore? The salary I had earned was just about gone and I had already started to use my inheritance. Was it even worth it? I was probably better off going back to the country to continue taking back my responsibility caring for my siblings. If I didn't find a job in the next week I guess that's what I would have to do.
I walked down a street and began window shopping. Chic clothes, trendy jewellery, trinkets and souvenirs. I walked past it all. But I hesitated. I glanced to my right. On a mannequin a delicate white satin gown with ruched chiffon sleeves and pearl accents. It wasn't entirely my style, but I felt drawn to it. I lingered on it admiring the details and wondering how it might look on me. Not that it mattered.
"I think it'll look good on you."
I jumped and spun around faster than lightning.
There he was at long last. Izaya. He was smirking but it didn't seem as mischievous as it was. He seemed gentle as he gazed at me.
"I know it's bad luck for the groom to see the gown before the wedding day, but I think it suits you," he said with his arms crossed as he leaned against a lamppost.
I scoffed, breaking out of my trance. "We aren't getting married."
His expression softened and he almost dropped that amused look he always had. "What have you been up to?"
I scoffed. "I'm sure you already know that since you seem to know everything about me." I crossed my arms and looked away.
"I don't. I stopped keeping tabs on you."
I glanced at him. For once he seemed sincere, but I couldn't trust him. "Somehow I find that hard to believe."
He smiled and stepped forward. "Are you working anywhere?"
"No. I seem to have trouble getting work. Apparently working for you looks bad on a résumé."
"You could come back and work for me." He rested a hand on my cheek.
Instinctively I moved it away. "I'm leaving."
His eyes widened as he met mine. "What do you mean?"
"I'm leaving Ikebukuro. Well Tokyo. I'm going back to the countryside to my family."
"Why?" There was agitation in his voice as I saw all aloofness disappear.
"I don't think I can sustain myself here. I mean I don't even have a job." It was an excuse.
"You could just work for me."
"I don't want to."
"Why?"
I furrowed my brows. "Why are you being like this?"
He scoffed. "Why are you being like this?"
The fact that he was actually showing emotion didn't even matter at that point. What the hell was he talking about?
"Why am I being like what? Upset that you had me wrapped around your finger? Upset that you've been stalking me my whole life? Or upset at the fact that your ego doesn't even let you see where your faults are?" I felt a lump in my throat as my eyes got blurry. I spun on my heel. "I just don't think we were ever good for each other."
I began walking away but he grabbed my arm, stopping me.
"Y/N..."
I glanced back at him, tears welled up in my eyes. "We're done." I freed my hand and made my way back to the apartment.

2 Years Later

I sat on a bench by a vending machine waiting for my siblings to come back from the convenience store. The sun was shining, the air humid. There was the sound of cicadas chirping all around, a sound that made me nostalgic.
It had been two years since I had left Ikebukuro behind. The time I spent there was unforgettable. From the cityscape, to the interesting people along the way. Most interesting of all was Izaya. I had tried forgetting about him all this time but it was impossible. Had I made a mistake leaving him? No way. He wasn't right for me. He was weird. He was a stalker. But he wasn't what people thought he was. He was sometimes gentle. And he cared about me. I shook the thought off. It didn't matter anymore. He was gone.
I saw my siblings over the hill, walking over waving and speeding up as they saw me.
"It's hot," my brother said wiping sweat off his forehead.
"Did you get the ice cream?" I asked.
My sister nodded, digging into the bag to fish it out. "They didn't have any of the strawberry milk you asked for though. Some guy bought the last few."
"He must really like strawberry milk," I said shrugging.
"Yeah, he was real fancy though. Like he just came from the city," my sister said handing us the ice cream.
"He seemed like a weirdo to me. Who wears all black in summer? Not to mention he wore a coat with a fur trim as well, in this weather," my brother laughed.
I paused.
My sister raised an eyebrow. "Did something happen?"
That description was too fitting. "I have to go back."
I turned around and ran. Maybe it wasn't Izaya. It probably wasn't. And even if it was, it didn't matter, nothing was going to happen between us anymore. But why was my heart beating so fast? Why was I hoping it was him? I ran over the hill, huffing, sweating. It was really hot.
The convenience store finally came into view.
And so did he.
Immediately, as I saw him, my heart stopped, and as luck would have it I tripped over a rock. I rolled down the hill grunting and stopping as I hit something — a pole probably. With a groan I moved onto my back.
There was laughter. Very familiar laughter. And when I opened my eyes, it was him. He was crouched beside, tearing up laughing.
"You never fail to defy my expectations," he said with eyes of endearment as he helped me sit up.
"Wh-what are you doing here?" I said catching my breath on the grass.
He looked into my eyes sincerely for a while, taking me in. There was a peace in his expression, as though all his worries had been wiped away. "I wanted to tell you something."
"What is it?" My heart was beating fast, maybe because of the adrenaline.
"You were right about everything. I'm sorry. I hurt you and I want to make it up to you," there was humility in his eyes as he looked away.
I felt all the weight leave my body as I leapt forward wrapping my arms around him. "It's okay."
I didn't even realise when, but there were suddenly tears streaming down my face as I began ugly crying. I felt my shoulder get wet as he nuzzled his face in my collar and held me tighter.
The cool breeze blew through my hair, carrying the fresh smell of summer with it. The weather was nice and in that moment I felt complete in his arms. Maybe we could work things out.

*****************************************
So it's finally over. I know I took some creative liberties on his personality and like maybe the ending was anticlimactic, but I think y/n deserves some peace and they had to get together in the end. Also I completely strayed away from the lore of the anime. But it's okay :D
The title of the story really was just referring to how Izaya was 'obsessed' with y/n I guess (I don't remember what I was thinking when I first started writing this) in case you were wondering how it tied into the story.
If you would like me to write more I might release a one shot sequel but like we'll have to see how things go.

Thank you guys for reading and supporting the story, I really hope you enjoyed reading it!