Chapter 10: Realisation

Erika and Walker had come in. They were surprised to say the least. As were the rest of the diners. Izaya narrowed his eyes, amused.
"But, I have my conditions," I said nonchalantly.
"Oh? And what would those be?"
"I'll send you the list tomorrow. But one of those is, stop messing with minors."
I was taken a back. It was almost as if he glared at me.
"W-what I mean to say is, high schoolers and younger. Whatever you do, I can't accept it if you involve children in your little mind games," I crossed my arms, nervously standing my ground.
"Hm," he glanced at me thoughtfully. "Fine."
I looked back, flustered at how easy it was to convince him. "F-fine? What? Okay. Great."
"Well then, since we are now engaged," he leaned in and planted a kiss on my forehead, "I can do things like this to you, right?"
I nearly died of embarrassment. All eyes were on us.
When we walked out the restaurant, he was oddly quiet.
"Where are we going?" I asked following him.
"You'll find out soon~" he was back to normal, hands in pockets, nonchalantly walking through the crowd.
He paused, and glanced back. He held out a hand.
I stepped back, flustered. "Huh? What? Do you want me to—"
He shook his head with an amused grin and grabbed my hand, pulling me close to him as we continued walking. I blankly stared at the ground, my cheeks getting warmer.
What was going on? I was supposed to be seducing him. Why was I getting so flustered? Why was he being so nice?
When I looked up it was a building. I was visibly confused but he gave me a reassuring smile. He led me up to the rooftop to the beautiful sight of the city. Thousands of glittering lights illuminating the bustling city. It was pretty impressive to be honest.
"This is really pretty," I said letting go of his hand and walking over to the ledge. I sighed, the gentle breeze blowing through my hair. "You're surprisingly romantic."
He was leaning on the ledge, staring at me with the same amused expression. But it wasn't really the same, there was something more gentle and genuine about it.
I cleared my throat. "What?"
"You don't remember, do you?"
I straightened up, furrowing my brows. "What do you mean?"
He looked away. "Nothing. It doesn't matter if you don't know~"
He was still smiling, but he seemed...disappointed?
I tried to ignore it. This was the perfect time to seduce him. The scenery was perfect. The mood was kinda weird but that could be fixed.
I ruffled my hair then flipped it back, making use of the lighting to make my aura sparkle as much as I could.
"So," I said trying to entice him with my eyes, "what is it about me that you like the most?"
He looked surprised for a second, then burst out laughing. "This!"
I felt like an idiot, my expression turning sour as I turned away glancing back at the city.
He kept laughing for a bit then straightened up wiping a tear from his eye. He took my hand, interlacing his fingers with mine. He placed his other hand on my waist and pulled me close. I stopped breathing. "You never fail to amuse me."
Then he leaned in, placing his lips on mine. And I melted in his embrace. I placed my hand on the nape of his neck. The kiss was different from others they had shared. He was gentle yet passionate, brushing the hair away from my face. Our lips parted and he stepped back, our hands still interlaced.
"Let's head back," he said grinning.
I nodded, cheeks hot.

I lay in bed awake, staring at the dark ceiling. Izaya seemed odd. Why was he behaving the way he was? Why was he suddenly being so normal? As if he wasn't in fact a sociopath. Also, what was it that I didn't remember? Did he know something about me that I didn't? I wouldn't be surprised.
I sighed, rolling over. Needless to say, today was a big fail for me. I expected a reaction from him, but not the one I got. I suddenly felt uneasy. Had I fallen for one of his games? Even so, I was going to stay strong. I closed my eyes. I could feel another dream sequence coming on.

An old memory in a strange new land. It was my first time visiting the city. Both my parents had talked about it before, told me how they had met and it was everything they had described. Very tall buildings, bustle everywhere. I was a bit afraid, but excited. Butterflies in my stomach. I was seeing the place where my parents had met. They told me much about Ikebukuro, and I had begged them to bring me here at least once. My small hands held onto theirs as they led me through, lost in their own memories. And then there was a crowd. That same bustle of the city. My grip weakened and my small hands let go. I watched, yelling out for them as they faded into a crowd.
I fell backwards into a different scene. Sat on a bench, crying. Alone. I was lost. Where had they gone? Would they ever come back for me? I wailed, bawling my eyes out. There was a small thump as someone sat down beside me. Someone small like me.

I hugged my knees into my chest. What was that dream? As I woke up it was already becoming a blur so I quickly wrote it down on a piece of paper. It felt so real, but I didn't remember it at all. I wiped a tear from my eyes. It had been a while since I had dreamt of my parents.

*********
So I am aware the plot is straying from the title, as well as the whole concept of the show but....whatever it's a fanfic that I started when I was 12 or smth ¯\_()_/¯ Also I'm giving us like 3 more chapters till the ending, MAYBE. Thanks for reading :)