Chapter 13: Wedding Dress

I had begun looking for wedding dresses. I don't know when but I had submitted to the idea that I was getting married. As much as I was wary of him, Izaya was being nice, and other than the fact that he was a sociopath, I had no real reason to be turning him down. He treated me well, and that was all I needed, right? But maybe him being a sociopath was a real reason to turn him down. When had my idea of acceptable personality traits become so twisted?
I was blankly flipping through the magazine. They were so...basic. And none of it made sense to me. Who knew there were so many shades of white? I rubbed my temples together. The strangest thing about it was that Izaya, or perhaps Namie, had left a stack of magazines wedding themed in the office for me, probably to make fun of me.
I flipped the page to a large pouffy ballgown decorated with layers of lace and ruffles. My jaw dropped, not in a good way. Maybe I didn't have an idea of what I wanted, but this was definitely the opposite of that.
"That one would suit you~" Izaya teased peaking over my shoulder.
I glared back at him. "That's not even funny. I would never wear something like this."
He raised an eyebrow. He was quiet for another moment. "I'm sure you would've worn fluffy dresses as a child."
I glanced at him with a raised eyebrow. Was he trying to get me to say something? The way he was looking at me was serious. "I don't know, probably."
He smiled thoughtfully then skipped away returning to his desk.
"I think something fitted would look nice on you," Namie said peeking over her computer.
I raised an eyebrow. "Maybe. It does sound better than a princess gown with layers of lace."
"I'd like to see you in a giant princess gown," Izaya teased, scrolling away at his computer.
I rolled my eyes tossing the magazine back onto the coffee table.
"I'm going for a walk," I stated, grabbing my handbag.
Izaya's head perked up. "To the park?"
I paused and met his eyes. "No. I don't know. Maybe."
He stared back for a moment before smiling. "Stay safe~"
"Right... I will..." I narrowed my eyes, thoughtfully, making my way out the office.
At this point I wasn't even going to try and understand him. It was pointless. Even when he was being suspicious, he never gave anything away. It was futile. So I decided to just walk in the warm sunshine without thinking about him and his strange moods.
It was nice, the sun shining in a clear blue sky, birds twittering in trees. The air was cool, only the gentlest breeze blowing past. I subtly stretched my arm, joints popping like bubble wrap. I desperately needed a massage. I glanced at the time, a picture of my siblings lighting up on the screen. I put a picture of them as my wallpaper out of my own guilt. It was just past noon. I put my phone back into my purse, lazily turning a corner. I thought I'd somehow walked into a wall, but it wasn't, it was a person. Shizuo to be exact. I felt a pang of guilt as he gave me a look of disappointment.
"I don't even know if I even really like him," I explained. "I might not even marry him." I didn't even know why I was explaining myself to him.
"Why are you telling me this?" He asked brushing past me.
"I don't know. But I felt like I had to tell you," I said looking at the ground. Why did I say anything at all? The atmosphere had gotten so awkward.
"If you 'might' not even marry him, why are you dragging it out? You're just wasting your time. That flea doesn't have feelings," there was genuine hatred in his voice. But I was taken aback by that look of disgust on his face. As if he thought I was insane.
I couldn't even look at him.
"I don't care what you do with your life, I don't even know you. But this is my final warning. If you go through with whatever sick game you're playing, you'll be the one regretting it," he said seriously before walking away.
Groaned kicking the wall, throwing my bag down. I covered my face. What was I doing? Really. What was this all? What was the purpose of anything? Just getting married to Izaya? There was no revenge, nothing. Just an emptiness I had been trying to fill with excitement and activity. All my efforts had turned a dull world into grey, where everything was happening whether I wanted it to or not. I knew it was Izaya pulling the strings. I don't know how he knew me so well, or why he had been playing such a boring and repetitive game with me, but maybe I was done. Maybe I'd go back. It's not like I'd made any real money here, and the excitement was too much for me to handle in a single lifetime. I picked up my handbag sighing.
I needed answers. And I was going to get them now. I made my way back to the office. I hesitantly opened the door, taking a moment to compose myself. Upon entering, I paused. Namie looked on edge. As I walked in she glanced at me, a look of concern washing over her. I gave her an inquisitive look before looking at Izaya, who was stood at the window, staring out at the city. Quiet.
"You're back pretty soon~" he said, completely still.
"Should I have taken my time?" I replied maintaining my nerve. I waited. "I needed to ask you something."
"Don't tell me you're getting cold feet," there was an edge to his voice that sent chills down my spine.
I paused, a bit scared. "I don't know. That depends."
"Oh? On what?"
"On how honestly you answer me," I replied.
Namie was glancing back and forth, her hand hovering over the keyboard, afraid to make any sound.
Izaya remained still. "What do you want to ask me?"
"I want to know why you know so much about me, and why you've been doing everything you've been doing," I said quickly.
He turned around. The hairs stood up on the nape of my neck as I saw his expression. He wore a nonchalant grin like he always did, but there was something sinister about. "What did he say to you?" His voice was a bit lower, warning.
"W-who?" I asked taking a step back as he began making his way over.
"Did he try talking you out of it?" Izaya was getting closer, and I don't know why but I genuinely felt scared, backing into a wall.
"I-I don't know what you're talking about." Was he talking about Shizuo? How did he know I spoke to him? Did he see us from up here?
"Are you lying to me?" he was close. Way too close, placing his arm on the wall either side of me, caging me.
"Izaya—" Namie tried to interrupt, standing up.
He glared at her and she stopped, at a loss for words.
"You can just leave," he said. Why did he sound so upset? Just the fact that he was so upset was shocking enough. My heart was beating fast, out of my chest. Was he going to kill me?
Namie nodded, and gave me a concerned look before leaving the room. I didn't hear her heels walk away so I felt reassured knowing she was outside.
"Could you please answer my question?" he sounded so passive aggressive, peering into my soul with those spine-chilling brown eyes of his.
Out of instinct, I kicked his shin, catching him off guard, then pushed him.
"I asked you first!" I yelled back more childishly than I had hoped.
He paused. Then he let out a soft chuckle.
"You really are unpredictable," we both said at the same time. He was surprised at my mocking tone.
And for the first time, he laughed. Not that crazy psycho laugh he does. But an actual laugh. A human laugh. Like he was a person.
"I crossed a line," he said, finally. "You're right. You asked first. It's only fair I answer your question first, but I don't want to talk about it here?"
"Then where?"
"You'll see when we get there."

*****
Sorry guys, I needed a break, I got so busy it was stressing me out. :)