10||the cave

"night, doll."

"Do you even have any idea where we're going, Miss 'I can navigate with the stars'?" Murphy whined. We had only been walking for about an hour, looking for a safe place to camp for the night. 

"Trust me, I know where we're going." I lied. I did not have any clue where I was going. Apparently it was my lucky day because through the dark, rainy forest, I spotted a cave not far in the distance. I sped up a little, causing Murphy to speed up behind me. 

"Woah, slow down, where are we going?" Murphy asked as we approached the cave. I went inside. The cave was empty, not too small and hidden behind some vines. Perfect.

"Told you I know where I'm going." I smirked. 

We made a fire and sat down opposite each other. I don't regret not going back to camp, but I definitely would rather be in the drop ship drinking moonshine with my brother right now than be stuck in a cave with John Murphy. 

"This sucks." Murphy huffed after we had been sitting in silence for a while.

"Yep." I pressed my lips into a line. 

"Why'd you come with me, Jordan?" Murphy deadpanned. "Why didn't you go back to camp?" 

"I already told you. You don't deserve to be out here alone, even though you're innocent." I answered.

"There's gotta be more to it than that." Murphy replied. "I mean, your brother's back at camp, why would you leave him to go with me, who you met a week ago?" 

"I... I don't know. I just know that you didn't deserve to be banished and I thought it was the right thing to do." I rambled. "You're a good person, John. I can see it. I just don't think you can yet." I admitted. "Besides, no one deserves to be alone. Not ever."

"I'm sorry. You don't deserve this, either." Murphy sighed, pressing his lips into a firm line. "You're a good person, a better person than me. I went on that revenge-crazy rampage and all you did was try to help, even though you got hanged for nothing."

"I guess sometimes bad things happen to good people." I noted. I felt a cool gust of wind wash over us and my body's initial reaction was to shiver. I was only in my pants, boots and long sleeve grey henley shirt because my jacket had come off at some point when I was being accused and hung for murder. 

"Here." Murphy said, taking off his jacket. I rubbed my hands together over the fire, which was nearly out. 

Murphy took off his jacket, about to give it to me. "No. You need it, I don't want you to be cold." I denied, but the oversized, blue, patched up bomber jacket was already over my shoulders. "Thanks." I muttered. 

"Anytime. I don't really get cold, anyway." Murphy shrugged as he sat down beside me. Lucky him. After living with no climate on the Ark, I hadn't gotten used to weather on Earth yet. He yawned and rested his head against the cave wall behind us. 

"Goodnight, John." I said before allowing my own eyes to shut and falling asleep. 

"Night, doll." 

"Doll?" I repeated sleepily.

"Give me a break. Your name's too long." 

***

I was woken by a strange feeling as if I was being watched. I realized I was leaning my head on Murphy's shoulder, but didn't pay any attention to it.