Finally Accepted

Zelda's POV

"ZELDA!"

I jumped out of my skin as my name echoed through the halls of my home, making it's way up to my bedroom and hitting my ears. Finding what I was looking for, I raced down the million steps to meet the source of the scream. Sighing, I handed the book back to my energetic friend. "Here it is Purah. Now can you please calm down? I don't want my father telling you off for being too loud." I warn, looking around in case he was already on his way with another lecture ready to go. Purah chuckles.

"Like he could hear little me in this HUGE mansion of a home." She winked.
"Well I heard you all the way in my room. My home may be big but it's also soulless. Your voice can be heard anywhere." I giggled as I finish, assuring her that I meant that in a good way. Purah may be loud but I wouldn't have her be any other way. She never fails to put a smile on my face with her infectious energy.

"Anyway, I'm sorry for taking so long finding your notebook. I can't thank you enough for lending it to me to read. The things you learn are just so interesting." Purah's notebook contained all her findings and queries about the research and experiments she pursues at Hyrule Academy, the best school in all of Hyrule. To me at least. I couldn't help but ask her if I could borrow it to learn about new things and maybe use that new information to help with my own research.

"Oh don't worry. I just needed it back today to update some stuff. I'm glad you wanted to look at my research. I just wish you could actually make your own notes for your own research at HA." I tried my best to keep my hopeful feelings inside me, but I failed as Purah noticed something was going on. "What's with that look? Wait... Impa told me you act all twitchy when you try to hide something. What is it?!" She grabs my shoulders, shaking me a little.
"Nothing. It's just that an application I sent off a few weeks ago should've been seen by now and I should be getting an answer back at any moment." I squeezed my lips together as Purah's face lit up.

"Woah! It's that time already? How did I not realise? Impa didn't even remember and she's supposed to be your best friend. Or she did and she just chose not to tell me. I'll choose to believe the latter." Of course Impa knew, she told me to call her when I got the results, since she was very busy with her training today and couldn't be here. She takes martial arts training at the academy and takes pride in showcasing what she learns whenever I meet her. I hope I get accepted so I can spend more time with her and Purah. It would also be beneficial for my goal to become a successful researcher.

HA is enormous and teaches a variety of subjects. It has a giant section dedicated to aspiring scientists and researchers; many spacious labs and plenty of equipment available to carry out any practical with ease. Just the thought made me extremely desperate to attend that school.

"Zelda". I turned immediately as I heard that cold voice I know too well call me.
"Heeey Mr Rhoam. How are ya this fine morning?" He doesn't answer her, making Purah shuffle awkwardly on the spot.
"Yes, father?" He looked as cold as ever, making me worry something has happened. But to my surprise, he smiles a little and hands me something. I look at him with a raised eyebrow. He rarely smiles.

"This arrived just now for you. I assumed you would know exactly what it is?" I moved my gaze down to the letter and almost chocked on air when I saw it was the response from the academy. ALREADY?! I had not expected it to come this early. I'm not ready to read the form, but at the same time, it's all I'm ready to do now. I open the envelope with care and hold the form in my trembling hands. Purah takes out her mobile immediately and calls her sister. Impa answers after the second ring.

"I'm guessing the result is finally here. Hurry and tell me what it is! Not that I don't already know it'll be good news." She confidently states before waiting in silence. Purah impatiently begins to jump on the spot.
"What are you waiting for? Open it!" She urges but I'm too nervous so I hand it to her instead, swapping the form for her phone. My hands are way too shaky.

"Look for me, please? I don't know if I've done well enough to be accepted." Purah looks at me like I'm crazy for doubting the result and unfolded the form. Father stood on the other side of the kitchen island, silently staring. Thanks for making me feel better father.

Purah gasps and shoves the paper in my face.
"YOU PASSED! You've been accepted to study at Hyrule Academy!" Me, Purah and Impa all scream together. Purah pulls me close and we both end up jumping like we're on a bouncy castle. Father clears his throat and I quickly regain my composure, feeling a little embarrassed.

"Congratulations. I expected nothing less from you." I smile and thank him, although part of me isn't so happy. Father has always wanted me to attend his academy. However, he didn't want to just hand me a place, since that would cause problems with other students and it would've been completely unfair, so I had to pass the exam to be accepted like everyone else. I was happy about that.

What I'm not happy about is that he will be expecting even more from me now than he already does. After all, his beloved academy is only open to those who are THE BEST at their chosen subjects. HA has a lot of exclusive courses that no other school has the privilege (or budget) of having. I should have no problem living up to that 'best' title with researching and experimenting, but attending the academy requires that students also take two compulsory subjects along with their main chosen subject. English language, science, mathematics, history, or physical education.

I suppose history would be the best option for me since I've got the highest grades for it in the past than the rest of the compulsory subjects. Picking a second one will be quite a challenge though.
"I'm certain you're debating which subjects you should take, correct?" I stared at my father in surprise.
"Y-yes. I mean I believe history would be a great option but I'm not entirely sure about the second choice. My main choice will be biology, mainly for the research course." I trail off, sitting on one of the cream coloured stools in the kitchen and resting my chin in my hand, deep in thought.

"Ooh wait! What abooout... PE?" Purah pipes up, earning the most confused look I could have given her. Why physical education of all things? I hate sports.
"Why that? I don't really like sports. You know I'm more about exercising my brain than my body, Purah."
"I know but didn't you say only a few weeks ago that you're struggling to learn how to use your light bow properly? HA teaches archery and so much more. You get to pick whatever course and it'll count as part of the subject."

"Hmm... that's actually not a bad idea young one. I have been meaning to get private lessons for you to learn your bow but now that you have been accepted, you can just learn at the academy." I should've realised father would agree solely because of my current struggles with the light bow. Even though the monsters that try to invade Hyrule have decreased immensely over the years, father wished that I quickly learn to use one of the strongest weapons against them. It's a special bow once wielded by... mother. I reach in the pocket of my royal blue cardigan to feel the little mirror inside.

This portable mirror used to belong to my mother, who had previously received it from my grandmother. She always spoke about how beautiful it was. When I was a child, I would always laugh at it for being such a tiny mirror. Mother would scold me.
'Now Zelda, don't laugh. This mirror may be miniature, but it's worth is immeasurable. It has been in the family for decades. It was passed down to me... as I will pass it on to you to take care of. Understood?' She handed it to me delicately, the golden triforce symbol shined as bright as mother's smile. I remember looking up at her beautiful face with admiration and happiness... before she was taken away from me.

I shake my head a little, turning my attention back to my father.
"Well, now that you've decided what you'll be studying, you should get ready immediately to attend the academy. I will go sort out the essentials to fully enrol you." He left without another word and I sigh with relief. I'm always on edge whenever father is near, hoping he has nothing demeaning to say about me.
"I'm so glad you'll be studying with me in the research facilities. It'll be good learning the light bow there too. There are loads of well trained archers. Plus, you'll be able to go visit Impa with her training and even see Urbosa, since she coaches her."

I had completely forgot that Urbosa coaches at Hyrule academy. She teaches martial arts and swordsmanship courses such as fencing. Visiting her will be one of the first things I do when I arrive at the school. It's been so long. It would be nice to talk and hear more stories about the adventures her and my mother shared together. I smile at Purah.
"Yes. I look forward to doing all of that."