Like a Gale

Zelda's POV

..."Zelda?" I turn my head away from Link's direction, to the archer next to me.
"Don't tell me you're also a fangirl of that... elf." Revali scowls at me.
"Huh? Of course not! Why would you say that?"
"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because you couldn't stop watching him leave, just now. Hmm?" He crosses his arms.
"No. I just... I can't help but wonder what's going through his mind. He's... strange. He refused to look at any of those girl just now but, he looked back at me. I don't understand him. It's certainly not because I'm a fan of his. I barely even know him." I explain. Revali doesn't seem convinced yet, he shrugs and walks away.

"You don't believe me?" I walk up to him as he sits on the bottom row of the bleachers, checking his bow.
..."I do. I noticed you hardly spoke to him a few minutes ago. It's just... rare to find someone who isn't head over heels for that nobody." He growls. I sit down, next to him. He doesn't like Link at all. I wonder why. I mean, I'm starting to conclude that it's because he gets so much attention from everyone. Is he jealous?
"Surely you also have fans. The way you deflected that javelin with those arrows was really impressive. Don't tell me those skills don't get as much attention as Link's athletic skills do."

"Huh. I don't need anyone to tell me I'm exceptional at what I do. I have always excelled in my studies and archery is everything to me. I do have fans but, it's the fact that Link has all the attention. He steals it from me, every single time. I worked my way from the bottom, taught myself from how to handle a bow, to shooting a number of bomb arrows at a range of targets at once. Link, on the other hand, has had his dad right there, a leading soldier, to teach him everything from a young age. He's been provided with all that advice and those lessons and now, he's being handed all this attention. What about the rest of us? Nothing." He huffs as he comes to a stop.

I have no idea what to say to him. Cheer up? I'm sure that's not true? I haven't even been here for an entire week and yet, I already know about the student's obsessions with Link and his accomplishments. Even father seems content with him. I'm sure that has to be a kick in the teeth for other athletes like Revali, who put in as much, if not more, dedication and time into their areas of expertise and get only a quarter of the attention that Link receives. I am sure Link doesn't intend to take the attention off of the others. I won't try to convince Revali, though. He knows Link much better than I do. Hylia, I don't even know him, yet. I only know he likes to play hero around the school and has a large fan base, whether that's because of his skills, looks, or both. That's about it.
"I appreciate the compliments, though. The only other girl to compliment me like that hasn't... had the chance to come by here in a while. Thanks." The corner of his mouth raises slightly. I smile back. This is the first time I've seen him smile, even if it is not that noticeable.

I hear voices to the right, next to the bleachers we're sitting on. The same group of girls, that were in the changing room, walk by. Luckily, they don't notice me and continue walking down the side path, towards the Gerudo grounds.
"Hey. Do you, by any chance, know those girls?" I point to the three figures in the distance.
"Humph. Yep. Laila and her minions. Why do you ask?" Revali doesn't look that interested in them.
"No reason. I just saw them in the changing rooms and... they don't seem like the athletic type. I know I may seem judgmental but, they have a lot of jewellery that they haven't taken off." I remember seeing their dangly earrings and shiny necklaces. They were still wearing them when they passed us.
"They don't take physical education seriously. They only joined to admire him." He grits his teeth. Oh. They want to admire Link. Of course.

"Oh... are they the only ones to-"
"-No. There are a few more students who have only taken sports as a subject to get closer to the local celebrity. It's utterly ridiculous." He sighs and stands.
"Are you ready to start your lesson?"
"Oh, yes please. I just need to get my..." Oh no. I forgot to bring my light bow. I'm such an idiot! I face palm myself.
"It's alright if you forgot to bring your light bow. I'm going to start you off with learning the basic techniques with a normal bow, first. We'll move on to the light bow in later lessons." I sigh with relief. I already like Revali as my coach.
"Thank Hylia. I already feel confident that I'll master that bow with your help. My past coach just watched me fail a million times with the light bow and wouldn't give me a break. He was as impatient as my father." My eyes lower to watch the grass as I remember all those lessons I felt like a total failure to my family. I clutch my locket.