Bird Spotting

Zelda's POV

I huff and adjust my hair, while Link shuffles in his dark grey jeans and puts his hands in the joint pocket of his dark green hoodie. We stand there for a few seconds. Well, this is awkward. Doesn't he have anything snarky to say to me today?
"Sorry for bumping into you. I'm busy with something." I decide to apologise. I was running too fast to watch where I was going. Terrako beeps and turns his head away from Link. Is he still mad at him for saving me the other day?
..."It's fine, but why are you in such a rush? And who's Maple?" He lifts an eyebrow. Why is he asking?
"Why do you care? It's none of your business. Now excuse me, please." I strut past him. I don't need his help. Terrako quickly grabs the picture from my hand and scuttles to Link.

"Terrako!" I scold him, but he doesn't flinch. Link crouches to take the picture from his claw and raises to his feet.
"A dove? One of the birds Purah borrowed?" I stare at him in confusion. How does he know?
"I saw Purah outside with them when I was on my way to the library, yesterday. She told me what she was doing with them. I also saw this dove there." He explains, reading my expression. He hands the picture back to me.
"Thanks for telling me that. Well... since you know about the bird, I might as well tell you what's happened. The dove's name is Maple. She escaped while Purah and Robbie were trying to take them to the sanctuary workers. I'm trying to find her."

I turn back around to exit the building, but Link's voice stops me.
"I'll help." He walks to me. I look over my shoulder at him. He looks bored. I can tell by his clothes that he has nothing sporty to do at the moment. He has no other lessons now, either.
"No, thank you. I can handle this. Thanks for the offer." I continue to walk out of the building, but I can hear his footsteps continue behind me. Didn't I just blatantly tell him I didn't need his help? I don't need to be distracted by his demeanour while I'm supposed to be finding a small dove somewhere around this campus.
"And stop following me!" I turn on my heel and yell at him. To be fair, he hasn't done much to make me angry this time. Maybe I'm just stressed about finding Maple.

"You're going to need help finding that bird. Do you really expect to make more progress yourself, than with some help?" No. But then he'll ask why I'm turning his help down. He's trying to help someone in need, like he always does, as others have told me. That's not a bad thing, I guess. I sigh and shake my head.
"Alright, then. Let's get bird spotting." He walks past me, towards the fountain, without another word. I silently follow. He puts his massive black bag pack on one of the posh, cream wood benches around the fountain and opens it.

"These should help." He mumbles as he pulls out... a pair of binoculars?
"Um, where did you get those? Why do you have them?" I ask. What could he need binoculars for?
"Oh. Um..." He looks down and rubs the back of his head.
"I took them from some guys, this morning, who were... using them to look at... people." He refuses to look at me. Why does he look embarrassed? Who were they looking- Oh. My. Hylia. Were they spying on girls? Doing what?! Link notices the look of horror that probably covers my face.
"I-I wasn't with them. I found them, took their binoculars and reported them." He explains, desperately making it clear he wasn't a part of that act, although his voice remains calm and low.

"Anyway, they should help us find Maple." He hands them to me, his cheeks look slightly coloured, but I try not to pay much attention to his eye-catching features. I look around the main campus through the binoculars, but I can't see Maple. We start walking around the buildings, taking turns with the binoculars. We call for Maple and see a few students giving us confused looks. I feel a bit embarrassed at their glares, but Link continues calling her name, acting like they're not there. I quickly walk behind him, staying close. He stops a few minutes later, causing me to bump into his firm back. It doesn't move him at all.