Rumours

Impa's POV

Of course, it was just our luck that we finally get to venture out together and Laila appears. Here I was thinking no arguments could happen today. 
"What are you doing here?" I get up and stand next to her, making sure to give my most intimidating glare. Zelda looks calm as she faces Laila, but I know she's nervous on the inside. She's never liked arguments.
"Um, I don't believe I'm talking to you right now." She doesn't even glance at me. Zelda shakes her head slightly, telling me to step back. Like hell I'll move back. Laila's eyes move between Link, Zelda and the rest of our friends.

"Oh how lovely is this, a little friendly get together. Training this one on how to fit in with normal commoners like yourselves?" She smirks as Zelda's eyes twitch. She's attempting to stay calm. Laila takes a sip of her drink.
"I'm sorry to break it to you dear, it won't work. People know who you are and what you want. We see right through your act."
"I'm sorry, what act are you talking about? I'm not putting any act on." Zelda questions.
"Oh come on, you're not fooling anyone. This... polite, sociable, damsel in distress facade is so pathetic. You want the people to love you so badly, you'll grovel on your knees for their affection!" Her minions begin to giggle. Oh they find this funny do they? I take a step toward them.

"Huh? You think this is funny? Why don't you say what you want to say and just get out of here!" Zelda places a hand on my shoulder, a pleading look in her eyes. Some people sat on other tables have turned to watch us. I may have spoke too loudly. I force myself to take a step back. The last thing I want is to draw unnecessary attention to this ridiculous scene. I smile apologetically at them and they avert their attention back to their groups.

"Hylia, you're all seriously buying this. You're being used for her own gain. The sooner you learn that, the better."
"And the sooner you learn to mind your own business, the better. We were minding our business over here before you so rudely interrupted." Purah crosses her arms.
"People have been talking." She continues, ignoring Purah. "You haven't received the best welcome from people since you started studying at the academy. It must be getting on your nerves not having the red carpet rolled out for you and adoring fans catering to your needs."
"I don't need or want any of those things, Laila. I just want to study and be with my friends without unnecessary attention." Zelda tenses when Laila and her subordinates start laughing. I look back at the table; Purah, Urbosa and Mipha share confused looks, Paya looks concerned. Sidon is standing, arms crossed as he watches them.
"Oh my, thanks for the jokes. I've had a shitty day until now. You don't want attention, you said? I disagree. Why else have you been harassing my boyfriend since you got here?" She's talking about Malice? Is she out of her mind?!

"Have you lost it? He's the one who's been harassing her!" I exclaim. Zelda takes a step forward.
"Impa is right. Malice has been... inappropriate with me for some time now. I would appreciate it if you could keep him away from me." She lifts her chin, a move her father taught her to keep composed and her grace in check.
"Are you serious? You can't convince me. Face it: you weren't happy no one was bothered you joined this academy so you attempted to better your popularity by gaining Malice's affection. Alas, when you failed because he is already taken, you tried to make him jealous by wrapping Link around your greedy finger, another popular guy here, by the way. Coincidence?!"
"Th-that's not true at all! How could you think such a thing?!" Aaaand within seconds, her composure is completely gone.

"Zelda, stay calm. You don't need to explain yourself to her. Let's just-" Mipha attempts to thaw the situation. Laila cuts her off.
"How could I? You think I'm the only person saying this? Everyone has seen you with my boyfriend many times! You have the audacity to not even know what's being said. I should be the one angry with you! You little-"
I gasp as she steps closer to my best friend, her face full of rage while Zelda's is disheartened. I can't wait to see if she continues speaking or does something she'll regret. I have to-