"I was gonna tell you but..."

After the show

I sat backstage on my phone while the rest of the boys were up and about getting ready for our family and friends to come visit. Everyone was excited but me.

I didn't have any family at the show tonight but I had been excited to see Mia. I really thought seeing her would kind of, I don't know, seal the deal. But then...I'm sorry when did Tyler even come back??

It was literally all I could think about the whole time I was performing. I don't think I smiled once during our concert.

"Dude what the fuck is going on?" Daniel asked as he and Jack came over to sit with me.

"I don't wanna talk about it." I said, still looking at my phone.

"It's definitely about Mia." Jack said to Daniel.

"Shut up you don't know what it's about." I told him.

"Yeah, I do. I saw that guy with her dude. I kinda figured you'd be upset." Jack said.

"That's not just a random guy. That's Tyler." I told him.

"What's your point? Random guy or not it's still a guy." Daniel said.

"Yeah, but if she wasn't already in love with him I'd still have a chance." I told them.

"Wait that's THE Tyler??" Jack asked.

"Literally just said that." I said, with zero emotion.

"Oh god." He said, finally realizing what was going on.

"Listen, just promise us one thing." Daniel said.

"What?"

"You won't get mad at her and freak out and ruin this night. She came to support you which means Tyler or no Tyler, she still cares about you. Don't forget that." Daniel said.

I looked at him, "No promises."

Later That Night

The five of us, Danielle, Mia, and Tyler had all gone out to eat. I know, just what I needed. To watch the two of them together more than I already had.

Everyone was engaged in conversation but I didn't say a word. Every once in a while I'd catch Mia looking at me, trying to figure out why I was being so quiet. I knew I couldn't say anything to her but at the same time it hurt so bad watching them together. And the worst part was, she was right. He wasn't a bad person which made it that much harder. They were genuinely happy.

We all got up to leave and she walked up to me.

"We need to talk." She whispered to me as we all left the restaurant.

"Bout what?"

"Zach I think you know." She said, crossing her arms.

"And have you leave Tyler alone? Never. So much for not wanting anything with anyone right?" I said, sarcastically.

"Can we please not do this right here?" She said, motioning for us to move to a more secluded location.

I shook my head and followed her away from everyone else.

"What?" I asked her, crossing my arms, wanting to make this as quick as possible.

"Look, I was gonna tell you but..."

"-But what? It never came up? Cause I'm pretty sure there were plenty of chances for you to bring it up." I told her cutting her off.

"Look I..." she took a deep breath, "I feel like if I try to explain this to you it's just gonna make you more mad." She said.

"Try me." I said, my expression not changing.

"Well...about a week after you left Tyler and I started talking again and...I just...I needed to do this. I needed to try this again. I thought I'd go into it and realize I didn't feel how I used to feel about him and then I'd finally move on and move on...but then things turned out to be going well and...and now I don't know because I still wanna be with him but part of me also has moved on...to you." She said, looking at me.

"So what are you trying to tell me then?" I asked her, not knowing what she wanted to get at.

"I uh...I don't know." She said, looking at her feet.

"Well listen, when you figure it out why don't you give me a call." I told her and turning to leave.

"Zach..." She said, putting her hand on my shoulder to turn me around.

"What?"

"I don't wanna lose you." She said.

"Well Mia, you're too late." I said, shaking my head and walking away.