goodbye

"I'm pedal to the medal, make no mistake. This is my pity party, Pity party.."

Patrick sang to you as you laid your head on his chest, running his hands through your hair gently.

"and I'm living out of time, eternal heatstroke, spiritual revolt from the waist down, from the waist down. I'm just a full tank away from freedom, spitfire.."

He brought his hand down to your stomach, rubbing it gently.

"Watch out, he kicks." you joked.

Patrick smiled, feeling what you meant. "Maybe he'll be good at soccer, like Pete."

You laughed. "Maybe." You Said. "But I hope he has an angelic voice and is a musical genius like his dad."

Patrick kissed you on the forehead. "And his mom's beautiful eyes, and perfect nose.."

"Maybe he'll take after both of us." You smiled.

"I hope he takes more after you."

Patrick paced back and forth, staring at his feet.

How could this happen? Everything had seemed fine.

Pete ran down the long hallway and approached Patrick.

"Patrick.."

He looked up at his friend, his eyes welling with tears.

Pete held out his arms, and Patrick fell into his embrace, sobbing.

"What am I going to do?"

"I don't know.." Pete Said. "I'm so sorry.."

A door opened, and a doctor stepped out. "Mr. Stump, we need you immediately."

Tears streamed down Patrick's face.

"Stay strong." Pete Said.

Patrick nodded, following the doctor into the room.

"Patrick.." You Said, wincing. "Come here.."

Patrick ran to your side. "Y/N...I cant do this.."

"Yes you can." You Said. "Choose the baby."

"I can't." Patrick sobbed. "I can't lose you.."

You groaned, another contraction hitting you. "Please. If you pick me, the both of us will probably die." You sobbed. "Just choose the baby, please.."

"Y/N...I don't want you to die.."

"Save our son." You Said.

Patrick laid his head on your chest, sobbing loudly. You ran your fingers through his hair.

"I love you, Patrick...I love you.." You Said.

"I love you, too.."

The doctor stepped up.

"Mr. Stump, your wife already made her choice." He Said. "What's yours?"

Patrick drew in a sharp breath. "T-the b-baby.." he said, his voice barely audible as he tried to keep from breaking down. 

You reached for his hand, and he laid it in yours, squeezing it tightly as he cried.

Doctors crowded in the room, getting ready to give you a c-section, which was the only way that the baby would survive.

They began numbing you up, and gave you an IV which helped with the pain you would soon experience.

As they prepared their tools, Patrick kept mumbling 'I love you's, rubbing your hand.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stump, its time to say goodbye." One of the doctors said sadly.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife."

Patrick held your hand tightly, Smiling happily as he looked at you.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you, too." He replied.

Pete held Patrick between his arms, his eyes filling with tears as his friend cried.

He had never seen Patrick so broken before. He hadn't stopped crying for hours, and it was as if his heart had actually been shattered into pieces.

The only love of his life was gone, and he would never see you again.

He had been with you for years, and it all just ended right there. The last thing he said to you was 'I love you.'

How could all those years just be over? How could the only thing he would ever say to you again be one sentence? There was still so much he hadn't told you, so much you hadn't yet experienced together.

But it was over. You were gone. Forever.

"Patrick...have you seen the baby yet?" Pete Asked.

Patrick shook his head. "I left right after she.."

He broke into tears again.

"Hey, hey...why don't we go see him?"

Patrick nodded, and Pete led him over to the nursery where a nurse held a baby.

She stepped out, showing the baby to Patrick, who smiled a bit.

"Hey, it's daddy.." he said.

The nurse smiled. "Have you picked out a name?"

"Y/N decided on the name 'Michael." Patrick Said, touching the baby's head gently.

"Michael?" The nurse asked. "It isn't a boy.."

"Wait, What?" Patrick Asked.

"We has gotten her Ultrasound pictures mixed up with someone else's." She Said. "She didn't tell you?"

"No...she didn't.." he said.

"Well, do you wanna hold her?" The nurse asked.

Patrick nodded, and she handed him the baby.

He looked down at her, smiling.

"She has Y/N's eyes." Pete Said.

Tears filled Patrick's eyes. "She does.."

"Do you know what you're gonna name her?"

"Y/N.."