it's gonna get better

It had been a couple of days since your fiancé, Patrick left to visit a friend a few hours away. He would be coming back today, and you were looking forward to seeing him again. You missed him. A lot.

You were sitting and watching TV, since you had cleaned the whole house to make it special when Patrick got home. You weren't watching anything special, Just a television premiere of a movie on one of the local channels. On a commercial break, you realized you were hungry, and you decided to get off of the couch and make yourself some popcorn. You stuck the bag in the microwave, and despite the giant words on the bag that urged you not to, you pressed the popcorn button. Who listens to the instructions anyway? As your popcorn was cooking, you just stood and watched it, listening to the TV and making sure that your movie hadn't come back on yet. Instead, you heard a newscaster say "We interrupt this program with breaking news."
You turned to look at the television, which showed the scene of a car accident. Both cars were demolished; whoever was in that accident couldn't have lived.
"The two victims of the accident were," the person continued.
The microwave beeped, and you hit the button and grabbed the bag, burning your finger a bit.
"Ouch.." You Said.
You turned back to look at the Television, and a familiar face appeared.
"Pete.." You Said quietly, dropped the bag of popcorn.
You sat there in shock and read the headline: 'Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz Killed In Car Accident'
"No..." you said.
You ran over to the phone, and dialed Andy's number.
After a few rings, he answered.
"Andy? W-what happened?" You asked. "Is he really...?"
"Y/N, he's gone.." he sobbed.
"Oh, Andy..."
"I have to go..." Andy Said. "The doctors want to talk to Me and Joe."
"Andy...I'm so sorry.." You Said.
He sighed, then hung up. You put the phone back, and sat for a second, letting everything you just found out sink into your mind. Pete was gone. You had only known him for as long and you and Patrick had been together, which was four years. Patrick had known him for forever. You knew he would be heartbroken. Tears ran down your cheeks, and you held your head in your hands as you sobbed. Why did this have to happen? You suddenly heard the door open, and someone coming into the house.
"Y/N, I'm home!" Patrick's voice rang through the room.
He took off his coat and hung it up, then looked over at you, his happy expression immediately changing to a worried one.
"What's wrong, sweetie?" He asked, walking over to you, and getting down on his knees so you were eye level.
"Oh...Patrick.." You Said, wiping your tears with your sleeve.
You kissed him on the forehead, and stood up. He stood up as well, and you held his hands.
"Patrick...Pete was in an accident." You Said.
His face fell. "Oh no.." he said. "Is he alright?"
Your eyes filled with more tears. "H-he....he didn't make it."
"W-What?" He asked.
You could tell that he was about to cry, because he breathing was uneven and shaky.
You wrapped your arms around him, he collapsed into your arms with a heart wrenching sob. You led him over to the couch, and he buried his face in the crook of your neck, sobbing loudly. A half an hour later, he was still crying. You rubbed his back in a circling motion.
"I can't believe he's gone..." he said, sniffling.
You pulled away from him, and held his face with your hands, wiping away his tears.
"I promise, Patrick.." You Said. "Everything will be okay."
You brought your hands down to his, and gave him a kiss on the forehead.
"I promise."

After Pete's funeral, Patrick got even more depressed. He laid in bed all day, crying, and hadn't eaten anything for weeks.
"Patrick?" You Asked, walking into the room one night, a cup of tea in your hands. "I made you some tea."
He sat up and wiped his nose, which was raw and swollen from crying so much in the past few days. You sat down next to him and turned on the lamp on your nightstand.
"Here." You Said, handing him the mug full of hot tea.
"Thank you." He said, his voice breaking. He took a sip, and you reached over and ran your hand through his disheveled hair.
"The fans have sent a lot of mail," You Said. "Joe And Andy really miss you, too."
He suddenly started sobbing, and you wrapped your arms around him.
"Oh, Patrick.." You Said.
"It hurts...He was such a great guy, and it only took one minute, then he was gone.." he said. "He didn't deserve to go like that.."
He buried his head in the crook of your neck. "I miss him."
"I know, babe.." you said, reaching over and setting his mug back on the nightstand. With your hands now free, you rubbed his back. "But Pete wouldn't want you to waste your life like this." You continued. "He would want you to keep doing what you love."
He took a deep breath. "You're right.." he said.
"When am I ever wrong?" You Asked jokingly.
He laughed.
"Now, give me a kiss." You Said, pulling away from him.
He planted a soft kiss on your lips, and you wiped the tears off of his cheeks.
"I promise you, Patrick." You Said. "It's gonna get better."