18

///

Hiiiiiiiiiiii

///

(Roman's POV)

I sit in silence at my desk, a book opened to a chapter about the fallen moon kingdom. Over and over I read the first page, the first sentence, the first word. I couldn't continue on. My mind was confused and scared for Malick.

He hasn't shown his face since the incident. I looked for the rest of the day for him but to no avail. My head rested in my hands, my fingers pulling gently at my auburn hair. Why can't I find him. I need to talk with him. I need to know what has happened.

"Prince Roman." Slowly I turn to see Remy. He stands nice and proper with his hands behind his back. Next to him was my father, the king, "your father wishes to speak with you... privately." With a nod I quickly shut the book and stand to face my father, pushing in my chair in the process. Remy quickly left the room leaving me alone staring in the face of the man I hated most.

"Roman," he started, "please sit," he motioned to the bed. I sat down, my eyes never once looking away from him. He was a testy man whom I did not want out of my sight even for a second. 

"What is it you want, father?" I ask with an even voice.

"You, son. Are chosen to succeed me. Prince Remus has been sent on a mission to retrieve something for me before I pass. While he is gone, you shall ascend the throne," a small smile slowly made its way onto my face, "however," he paused, "I refuse to allow you to ascend until you are properly married."

And there was the shitty downside. I wanted the throne now. Truly I do. There is so much I could do to help restore our kingdom. But to marry someone of who I most likely will never love? I don't think I could.

"Why?" It was a simple yet powerful question. The king sighed.

"Our kingdom is growing weaker. We have made a deal with the sky people in order to strengthen our two kingdoms so that the pit may not rise again. You shall marry their eldest princess. Princess Emilia."

"Amelia?" 

"Spelled with an 'E'" He replied.

What an odd name.

"What if I refuse?"

"Then you are not my son," he spoke simply, "my son would do anything for his kingdom. If you wish to be king, then you WILL marry Emilia."

My shoulders sag as I stare at the floor.

"Straighten up, Roman. No son of my will be allowed to sit so improper. Now rise and make yourself presentable for her." He turned and made his way to the door as I followed.

We walked through the halls of the castle passing many servants doing their daily chores. None of them, sadly, were the one of whom I wished to find. When we had made it to the entrance of the great hall a man presented us to the people inside. As we walked in and the people parted, there, at the end was a young woman.

Her hair fell in beautiful light brown curls and her smile was radiant. She wore a simple, pale blue dress that compliment her hair and eyes of which were a soft, icy blue hidden behind a pair of simple, round glasses. To say she was not gorgeous would be a lie, but she wasn't the one for me.

As I approached her, she curtsied.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, your highness." Remembering my many lessons, a gave a bow.

"As it is to meet you, princess." There was a man standing next to her with soft smile. He too had the same curly brown hair and a simple suit.

"This," the princess started, "Is my father. King Patton of the sky people." The man gave a bow.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance," I replied. He said nothing. Just smiled kindly.

"He means not to be rude. My father simple speaks when he feels it is of importance." I nod in understand.

"Everyone," My father commanded, "leave the two to speak with one another." Quickly the people in the room were ushered out and the two kings left us as well, "do not screw this up." My father whispered to me before disappearing. I gulped.

"Care for a walk?" The princess asked. I smiled and gave a nod, holding my arm out for her to take. We navigated the halls till we found ourselves in one of the castles courtyards. The two of us strolled in a comfortable silence, stopping to admire the many blooming flowers. The sun was high above making the world glow and the plants look even more enchanting than others.

Soon we found ourselves at a bench, sitting still in silence.

"So," I started, initiating conversation, "how do you like the Sun Kingdom?"

"It is quite pleasant from what I have been able to see." I nod, acknowledging her, "the castle here is so beautiful although what I truly wish to see are the people who live beyond these palace walls."

"Were you not able to see them on your journey?" She shook her head, "well, they are a splendid people. Although..." I pause. Should I speak my mind? I wish to make a good impression and don't want her to see me as insane or anything.

"Please do go on." Emilia urges. With a deep breath, I continue.

"While the land is beautiful and the citizens splendid, they need our help. I once escaped these walls and walked among the commoners." I smile at the memory, "I took my friends cloak and climbed over the wall right over there," my hand stretches out and points to the small batch of trees giving shade and cover, "the streets were lively and full of people. Of course I got scared so I ran off into a nearby alley..."

~~~

I hid in the corner of a random alley, trying my best to stay hidden from the royal guards. All I wanted was one day where I could be free. One day where I was not "Prince Roman". Just once I wanted to be only "Roman".

As I am contemplating my existence I hear a creak come from the roof. I look up and see beautiful violet eyes staring down at me. I run as fast as I can in hopes of escaping. All of a sudden a figure jumped down directly in front of me, cutting off my path. I stop and look at them as they rose to peer up at me.

They were smaller than I was, slender but not weak. Violet eyes looked directly at me, slightly hidden by black and purple hair. I stand up trying to look as intimidating as possible.

~~~

"I will never forget that day," still somewhat caught in a daydream, Emilia nudges me slightly to get my attention.

"It seems you are very fond of your people... some more than others," she smiles softly. I cock my head as I give her a quizzical look. To what is she implying? Noticing I did not apparently understand whatever joke it is she was trying to make, the princess switched the subject, "do you ever wish to go back among the commoners" A mischievous smirk plasters itself on my face.

"How about we go right now?" I take hold of her hand and we run to the trees. As soon as we are there I begin helping her over the wall, being careful to make sure there are no guards around. Meeting Emilia has made me forget the events of earlier today. I hope it lasts.

As I climb the wall, pushing myself over, there was a grin stitched on. Never had I been so happy.

If only I noticed the small, black necklace that had fallen from my suit pocket...

///

Princess Emilia Eh?

Alrighty....

Favorite tv shows?

///