chapter 20.

nostalgia, twenty

nostalgia, twenty.
walking on thin ice

Yang Jungwon didn't know what made him agree to his friend's suggestion

Yang Jungwon didn't know what made him agree to his friend's suggestion. Sunghoon had sent him a text asking if he wanted to come along to the rink that morning, and the usual answer was 'no.' His other friends never went along to protect themselves from embarrassment, and now he understood why.

"My coach is calling me," Sunghoon said, the moment they arrived at the rink's waiting area.

"What?"

"Yeah, I'm heading in." Sunghoon handed Jungwon a pair of rental skates he'd mindlessly grabbed off the table. "You'll be okay, right?"

Jungwon's eyes widened. "What? No, I don't even know how to-"

"I believe in you!" Sunghoon spoke as ran towards the rink, taking his blade guards off and getting on the ice as if it was the easiest thing in the world.

Jungwon muttered a string of incoherent words as he sat down on one of the benches and attempted to put the skates on. He didn't even know how to tie the shoelaces properly.

As he struggled with the laces, trying all sorts of patterns that made it either too loose or too tight, the venue door opened.

Tan Xiaohui walked in with her duffle bag, dressed in a training attire similar to Sunghoon's. She was a junior from his school, and he'd only talked to her once or twice, but she seemed friendly. Maybe friendly enough to help him out.

Just as she was about walk past him, he tapped her shoulder. "Noona?"

Xiaohui turned around, surprised to see the boy. "Oh, hey Jungwon. What's wrong?"

"I don't know how to uh-" he pointed to his skating shoes.

"Ah," she said, dropping her bag before crouching down. "I'll tie them for you."