chapter 36.

nostalgia, thirty-six

the makeshift picnic

This summer's definitely been one for the books

This summer's definitely been one for the books. I don't know about you, but I've had so much fun. I mean, hopefully you're having fun too, because if you weren't then that'd just be sad. I don't have anything else to write so, bye.

Yebin dropped the pen she was using, taking the note and smudging glue stick on the back before pressing it to the book. She nearly jumped in shock when the doorbell rang, quickly slamming the book shut and hiding it under her desk.

Knowing exactly who it was, she rushed to the mirror, examining her appearance. She fixed the loose strands of her hair in place, and even debated on whether or not she should roll up the sleeves of her sweater. She shook her head, realizing she was overthinking again and that he probably wouldn't care in the slightest.

Yebin shuffled down the stairs to get the door, only to find that someone had beat her to it. Her grandmother stood by the now opened door, narrowing her wrinkled eyes at the boy who stood before it.

"I don't usually allow my Binnie here to be alone with boys her age," the woman said. "But you're an exception."

"Halmeoni~" Yebin groaned, only bringing a grin to Jungwon's face as he caught sight of her. She silently motioned for him to follow her inside, but the boy first turned to her grandmother.

"I'm flattered, Mrs. Han." Jungwon bowed his head at her slightly, before stepping in the house. "Thank you, really."

"Not so fast."

They both froze when the woman spoke, turning around to stare at her in confusion. She wore a simple smile. "Yebin dear, you should prepare some snacks for the two of you."

"Again with the snacks? Halmeoni, I told you we're already having a picnic-" One look at her grandmother's face and Yebin raised her hands up in surrender. "I'm going, I'm going."

She sighed as she walked into the kitchen, hearing the faint sound of her grandmother and Jungwon conversing. She didn't try to listen, but couldn't really help it when their voices echoed through the walls as she took some chips from the shelf. Little was audible.