chapter 47.

nostalgia, forty-seven

the universe remembers

"She should be back by now," Jungwon said, his eyes on the front door that anyone had yet to come in or out of

"She should be back by now," Jungwon said, his eyes on the front door that anyone had yet to come in or out of. The rest of the party seemed to continue on its own, but he and his friends were seated at one of the tables, waiting.

     "Relax, buddy," Heeseung told him. "You miss her that much?"

     "No, I just have this feeling that-" Jungwon cut himself off, not wanting to finish his own sentence. "Let me call her."

     He pulled out his phone. No new messages. He rang her line, but no one answered. After a few more missed calls, he sighed sharply and decided to call her dad instead.

     "Jungwon-ah! You guys having fun there, kid?"

     "Ah, she hasn't come back yet, sir," Jungwon said with a small laugh. "Did Yebin just leave the house?"

     "What do you mean?" Hajoon asked. "She never dropped by."

     Jungwon felt his heart rate quicken. "What?"

     "Yeah, but I'll tell you if she shows up. Don't worry, she probably made a pitstop at the convenience store or something. Wouldn't be the first time."

     "R-right." Jungwon nodded, trying to mirror Hajoon's casual tone. "Thank you, sir."

     But when the phone call ended, he couldn't sigh out in relief. "Something's wrong."

     His friends all turned to Jungwon, watching as he anxiously bounced his leg up and down. Heeseung pursed his lips. "Maybe she got caught in traffic, or- "

    "There's no traffic at this hour," Jungwon snapped, catching them all off-guard. He closed his eyes in frustration. "Sorry. I didn't mean-"

     His phone rang, and he answered immediately. "Yebin?"

     "J-Jungwon? It's m-me, Kiyoung."

     "You again? I thought I blocked you," Jungwon said harshly. He did a double-take at his screen, his eyes going wide at the contact name. "Why the fuck do you have her phone?"