chapter 33.

nostalgia, thirty-three

so close yet so far

Jungwon opened the door, walking inside his quiet house as his friends cautiously followed behind

Jay peeked at the empty rooms. "Did your parents leave?"

"Yeah, they went grocery shopping." Jungwon hit the light switch, which then revealed the interior.

Yebin's mouth hung open slightly as she looked around. The house had this warm, cozy vibe, sort of familiar-looking even. Not too small or too big either. She remembered her own home, but the atmosphere was different. Happier. Less Heavy.

"The laundry room's over here." Jungwon directed Yebin towards a small room at the far end.

"Thanks again," she told him, crouching down to put her wet clothes in the dryer. Beside the machine was the window looking out to Jungwon's backyard, and she squinted her eyes at a curious blue object in the grass.

"Hey, what's that?"

Jungwon followed her line of sight, before furrowing his eyebrows. He didn't know either. Deciding to go check, he led Yebin out the back door, walking over to the bush the object was stuck in. After picking it up, he saw it was just an old frisbee.

"Ah, I remember this." He didn't notice the look of shock on Yebin's face as he continued. "I was- seven, I think? It was my birthday, and we were celebrating out here when it flew from over that wall and hit me smack in the head. Left a bruise, you know."

Jungwon held out the frisbee for her, and she took it in her hands in disbelief, staring at it as if it were a hard math exam.

"My uncle gave me a blue frisbee on my seventh birthday." Yebin looked up at Jungwon. "I lost it the same day, after accidentally throwing it over the neighborhood wall."