chapter 29.

nostalgia, twenty-nine

and history repeats itself

❛ and history repeats itself ❜

Oh, how the tables had turned.

     For the past couple of weeks, Yebin had done a pretty good job of avoiding Jungwon, something that proved to be difficult considering he was the reason she couldn't sleep at night.

     You know those warm butterflies in your stomach whenever your mind wanders back to the person you like? She had a bad case of whatever that was.

     But she had to follow through, because seeing him would just make all of that ten-times worse. At the park, she'd jogged away from him and his friends just as they were about to approach her.

     The bus wasn't a problem either, as Jungwon's driver had come back from his leave and their lines had to go back to running in opposite directions. Much like they had to.

     Everything was working out somehow, but there was one place she knew she'd meet him anyway. It was inevitable. The end of the year party was one night where students from both Haean and Sanheoli went to whichever rich person's house was chosen, and this year, it conveniently had to be Jake Sim's.

     But Yebin wasn't going to give her fun up for a boy, or maybe she just didn't want to face Tan Xiaohui's wrath if she had to show up alone.

     And so there they were, two friends all prettied up for a night that was going to be everything but that. Pulling up into the driveway, Yebin peered out of the car window as Xiaohui parked.

     Yebin's mouth hung open. "This is a whole ass mansion."

     "Guy's lived in two countries and owns an international school." Xiaohui sighed. "Lucky bastard."

     "We're richer though," Yebin suddenly replied, earning an eyebrow raise from Xiaohui.

     A proud smile stretched across Yebin's face. "Because we'll own the party."

     "Oh my god." Xiaohui closed her eyes in defeat as her friend continued to laugh at her own joke. "That was horrible."

     Xiaohui moved to get out of the car, but Yebin's expression dropped when she stepped out on the other side, instinctively crossing her arms over her frame.