The Dark Tattoo

One hour.

Harry has already spent over an hour flipping through the magazine. He couldn't find anything. Nothing. But he does know a lot about the latest fashion trends and some juicy gossip about the Seeker of the Holyhead Harpies and a reserve player of the Chudley Cannons. Harry sighed. He was convinced it would contain a secret message. He flipped through to the end of the magazine with reader submissions. One of these entries drew his attention:

The Pecking Snow Owl

What a contradiction. As fierce as the hottest fire, but with a scornful look that makes you freeze.

What a cold beauty.

What would I do for it, that one day she would speak my name and kiss me lovingly.

C.L.

'It doesn't even rhyme,' Harry thinks unimpressed. Harry reads the entry once more. It made him think about his loyal companion. His best friend Hedwig. The initials C.L. didn't ring a bell, but something told him that this was something noticeable.

"C.L." Harry grabbed the magazine and gave it a quick kiss.

Nothing. 'Wow, feeling like a classic Dunderhead now.' Harry thinks. He was sure that it would work. "Speak my name and kiss me lovingly... Speak my name.." Harry's eyes widen. Of course, how stupid!

"R. Singulier." And he gave it a kiss, once more.

A strange glimmer slid on the smooth paper of the magazine. On the page with reader submissions appeared a letter. Harry couldn't believe his eyes, he was right! Hah! Take that Hermione! He can deduce, well, when he really wants it!

Dear Still Living,

I approve of your need for an alias. How very Slytherin of you.

There my hymn for you ends. I must confess that I am disappointed with the content of your letter. Traditions and customs are, as in any culture, of great importance. Certain stories are passed on from father to son, so our history is always remembered. How can you expect to participate in our society if you don't want to make an effort to get to know it?

But I admit, the Hogwarts curriculum leaves much to be desired. When my father went to Hogwarts, there was a subject that dealt with traditions and rituals. The original holidays were also celebrated. Over the years, more and more classes were dropped. Everything in the name of Muggleborns. I mean this very objectively. They have tried to make these new witches and wizards feel more "at home," because what could be nicer than celebrating Christmas?

And I'm not even talking about the Dark Arts. After all, these are not inherently harmful, with good intentions they can even be very useful. But I will not elaborate on this, after all, it will not be appreciated. Or does it?

I will not tell on your secret, only my father knows about this. Unfortunately, this is insurmountable. Because... I'll tell you a secret. My father will be an intermediary, for the time being, otherwise, my mail would not get through. You see, my freedoms are limited. I am allowed to receive mail once a week and even this privilege is an expensive commodity. And yet I hope to receive another letter from you. Ask me candid questions and I will answer in good faith.

I also have no bad intentions. I have been told many things, but things told in confidence, will not be repeated to another. I expect you to be an honorable wizard as well. Also, I will not judge, I hope to receive this favor from you as well.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Your friend,

R. Singulier