Yule at Grimmauld Place

"I'm so glad to see you, pup," Sirius said to Harry. The man looked healthy, his hair gleamed in the light, and his eyes seemed to be less sunken in his face. Sirius pulled Harry close and put his arms around him.

"It feels so good to have you in my arms again, Harry. With everything that happened, I was so worried." Sirius looked straight at Harry, but his eyes were kind and grateful.

"Glad to see you too, Sirius. I can barely remember the past few weeks, my sole focus was on this vacation. I was counting down the days." Harry felt a flush appear on his cheeks. He hadn't intended to reveal so much, but at the spur of the moment he opened his mouth he couldn't stop the flow of words. He cared so much about this man, his father in spirit and blood.

Sirius held Harry at a distance with both hands on his shoulders. He studied Harry. "Are you really okay, Harry? Are you feeling good enough to spend Yule, or Christmas, with the Weasleys in attendance? I told Albus I'd rather spend the days alone with you. With only Remus as an exception. But you know how the man is. He twisted my words and reminded me of my promise I made in June when I told the Order to use Grimmauld Place."

Sirius ran a hand over his face in agitation and closed his eyes for a moment. Harry could see the stress slide down his godfather's face. Sirius opened his eyes and Harry held his breath for a moment at the look in his eyes. His eyes were dark with restrained anger that lived dormant in the shadows of his being. There was a sense of protection, of an ardent desire to protect. But not only Sirus's face was stiff, no, but his body also trembled with restrained rage. For the first time, Harry could see what the man was capable of. Azkaban's harsh lines were visible but gave the man a kind of dark force. It took Harry's breath and he waited anxiously to see what the man would bring.

"When I heard how you were treated. How Ron attacked you.... How Hermione ostracised you. I would have sent everyone out of my home. Without Remus- without Remus, I would have turned my back on the Order. You will notice that the relationship has cooled somewhat. The Weasleys have promised to behave. I believe Arthur had a conversation with Ron. You can expect an apology." Sirius hesitated for a moment and continued, "Give me one word Harry, one word that they don't treat you right and they're gone. I promise that at the honor of the House of Black."

"Thank you, Siri. Thank you for being there for me." Harry sighed.

"No problem pup. I had the same room prepared for you. Molly was still trying to convince me that it would be better if you had to sleep in Ron's room. That then your friendship would be restored. I don't have to tell you that I asked her if she's in her right mind. Kreacher has prepared your room, you will not be disturbed." Sirius said firmly.

"Go upstairs quickly and get into bed. We will have to go out tomorrow. We go to a nearby forest to cut a tree. In two days it will be Yule and we will have to give our offerings to Lady Magic. If she accepts our offerings, our Yule Log will burn well into January."

***

Harry woke to the sound of soft footsteps. He turned and looked where the sound was coming from. Kreacher stood by the window of his room. The old house-elf was busy decorating the space. Upon seeing the ornaments, Harry was besieged with the fresh scents it brought with it. Harry smelled the earthy and fresh scents of fir branches that festively adorned his room. Dark red ribbons were neatly tied around the branches. There seemed to be fresh snow on the branches, glittering in the morning light. Harry saw Kreacher clapping his hands gently. A moment later, red berries appeared around holly branches that wrapped themselves around the fir branches. They were works of art in themselves, and Harry just kept looking at the magic around him. A feeling of gratitude and warmth shot through Harry.

He cleared his throat gently and said to the elf, "Thank you for the beautiful decorations, Kreacher. A good Yuletide for you."

The old house-elf turned and bowed to the young wizard. "Young Dark Master is too good for Kreacher. Happy Yuletide to you too. I took the liberty of preparing an outfit for the Young Master. The vest was traditionally worn by Lord Black when cutting down the Yule Log. The vest will warm you up during the trip in the forest." With a snap of his fingers, the house elf disappeared and Harry was alone again.