The Sins of the Father

Tom Marvolo Riddle, better known as Lord Voldemort, rubbed his hand over his serpent-like face. Every day was a battle with his new body. The body was flawed, he had to drink a carefully brewed potion-regimen every day, to smooth out the worst side effects. His main concern was his strength, his magic was less potent than before his fall. His new body seemed less able to conduct magic as if something was missing.

Another concern was his appearance; while it was nice to instill fear in his followers, as his enemies, it was an unforeseen side effect of his resurrection. Lord Voldemort was also a vain man, and his charms had attracted most of the followers. The strongest followers were those who were devoted to him and his teachings, this was not achieved through fear, but by attracting them with what they value most. To a pureblood, that was a balanced, strong man; with a lot of magic, a symmetrical face, and a good story. Voldemort could tick all of these boxes when he was thirty years old, now he had to fall back on his brutal reputation and it was almost impossible to build his empire without a violent coup.

Voldemort sighed, the last thing he wanted was a violent takeover of the Ministry. It would not give his regime the desired legitimacy, it would make administration more difficult and citizens would be suspicious of the government. No, a violent coup would actually benefit the Light-side, like a beautifully wrapped gift. Citizens could rebel, or worse, relocate. Magical families could choose to leave the country and let their talents blossom elsewhere.

For the time being, Voldemort would choose to rule in the shadows. Firstly, he would, once again, take charge of the Dark Creatures, who felt so unheard of by the Ministry. It was not until his position on the Dark Faction was consolidated that plans would be made to take over the rest of Magic England. It won't do to hastily show his hand, patience was a real virtue in this case.

~ "Master, the Dementors' emissaries are here. They're in the conference room furthest from the Malfoys' quarters."~ Nagini hissed as she slid inside the room.

Voldemort ran his hands over the smooth scales of his familial. ~ "Nagini, my dear, what are my golden-haired friends doing today?" ~

~ "They are being visited by the Lestrange family today, Master. The vain golden man is pretty nervous, they're taking that young Potter boy... Should Nagini intervene?" ~

Voldemort shook his head. ~ "No, my faithful serpent. I was informed that Harry Potter would be visiting today. There seems to be a shift in loyalty in young Heir's life. I trust my old friend Corvus enough to give him some... space to accompany young Harry." ~

He walked to the window with the snake on his shoulders and looked out over the lush garden of the Malfoy family. ~ "Watch the boy, but stay in the shadows. It is rumored that the boy is gifted with the language of serpents. You may remember what he said to me after my resurrection." ~

The snake hissed indignantly, remembering the disrespect the dark-haired boy had shown to her Master. The boy had slipped away before she could eat him, as her Master had promised her. The boy had known this and shouted it angrily to her Master. 'Oh, how badly she wanted to bite him!'

~ "Nagini will do what her Master instructs. She will lie in the shadows and listen to the meat sacks." ~

Voldemort laughed softly at his snake's indignation. If only all of his followers were as loyal as she was! ~ "Then go quickly, my dear. I will go to our soul-sucking friends." ~

The pair broke up in silence. Nagini slipped into the Malfoy's reception room, and Voldemort strode to the other side of the house. He had deliberately ordered to receive the Dementors on the other side of Malfoy Manor, to avoid unnecessary situations. After all, it would be annoying if a child from a Pureblood family accidentally fell prey to a Dementor. That was exactly a problem that Voldemort did not want to waste time on.