The Ashwinder

"No."

"What do you mean, no?" asked Rabastan in a low voice.

"I'm not helping out on an ill-considered suicide mission," Rookwood said with a straight face. "I agree with Master Potter-Black that it is unwise to return to Hogwarts, but you must confess, Rabastan, that it is rash to enter the Ministry blindly."

Rookwood looked intently at Harry and searched his eyes for cracks in his mask. "Let's sketch a hypothetical scene of this plan," he said in his automatic, almost nasal voice. "What is the purpose of this venture?"

Harry didn't hesitate. "We want to obtain Alchemical books, books that can shed light on the so-called 'chemical marriage', especially the connection between sulfur, mercury, and salt."

Rookwood nodded. "Why is breaking into the Ministry the only way to get this information? What can be said about being placed under house arrest, or going into hiding if you like, while a lawyer requests the necessary documents from the Ministry?"

An impatient growl escaped Harry's throat as he glared at the former Unspeakable. He threw his hands in the air angrily and began to pace. "I don't think I have the luxury of going into hiding. Dumbledore has been panting down my neck for a while; he checks every step I take and questions every unusual occurrence that occurs in close proximity to my person."

Unfazed, Rookwood shrugged. "Where Dumbledore is powerful, he remains only a single person, someone who is currently not on good terms with the Ministry. I don't see what his interference adds to the urgency of this matter."

Harry looked irritated at Rabastan, who ran his hand through his hair. His older lover didn't look at Harry, however, but stared around Rookwood's room, as if looking for possible clues that might help them leave for the Ministry. When Harry was about to open his mouth to begin yet another monologue to the unwilling Death Eater, he felt a warm hand on his shoulder. Until then, Rodolphus had withdrawn and only listened to the arguments of both sides, without making any contribution to the conversation.

"August, what my brother and Harry fail to mention is the nature of the investigation into my future brother-in-law," said Rodolphus in his dark voice that carried as much authority as his father.

Rookwood's eyes widened for a moment on hearing the familiar term used by Rodolphus, realizing that his help was not sought in the name of Harry Potter-Black, but in the name of the Lestrange family. The fact that it was a family matter, about his brothers from the Dark Sect, made Augustus willing to change his positions.

"What is the nature of the investigation then? What exactly are they accusing Master Potter-Black of?"

"Murder, of course," said Rodolphus blasé. He grinned his teeth bare, but his murderous look made him look dangerous and unpleasant. "Dumbledore and his merry band of bird watchers have been investigating Harry for several months and recently hit the jackpot. They believe they have gathered sufficient evidence that Harry is responsible for Madam Umbridge's death and torture."

Rookwood's eyebrows shot into the air at this information. "Young Mr. Potter-Black is the perfect scapegoat; he is not liked by the Ministry and easily presented as the next Dark Lord." He smiled faintly. "Really clever."

The ex-Unspeakable looked at Harry and tilted his head inquiringly. "Are Dumbledore's allegations justified?"

Harry glanced shyly from Rodolphus to Rabastan and nodded timidly. "Yes sir."

"Ah, that changes things," Rookwood said wearily. "Are you afraid of a repeat of '81? A mock trial, is that to be expected?"

Rookwood seemed not to expect an answer and stared into the fire that burned in his hearth. The man had his hands folded behind his back and said nothing for minutes. The silence made Harry feel uneasy, like a caged tiger. Rabastan seemed to sense his discomfort and squeezed his upper arm amiably, but shook his head. The gesture was enough for Harry to swallow his impatience and wait for Rookwood's verdict.