Page 44: The Curse-Bearer

The Virtues sat in silence as they each turned to him, their eyes collectively widening at the sight of the dark-haired intruder.

"Thanks for leading me to it," Hector said. "Going through to this normally would've been way too much of a hassle!" Hector said, once again letting out a laugh. With his other hand, he ran his fingers through his hair.

Alexander quickly stood up. 'Who-'

Each of the Virtues' thoughts focused on this sudden intruder.

Time passed: 0.01 seconds.

And all of the Virtues sprung forth.

"I'm just here for the crystal. I'm not here to fight," Hector said with a smile. "Unless you are."

"He's Golden Dawn!" Liam shouted out, tossing a sword in the air.

Leonard swiped the blade from the air. "And he has no magic energy!" he told the others, his sword instantly igniting with crimson flames.

Alexander launched the knife from his hands. But with a simple step to the side, Hector dodged it, the blade splitting apart the air beside his swaying hair. But even in that confusion, Alexander noticed the glimmer of silver inside Hector's sleeve as he moved.

'That's... a weapon.'

"Nice to meet you, chosen one!" he laughed. "How's Excalibur?" Hector asked as Gabriel prepared a swing. Hector smiled as he turned to the side, launching his arm in the process. And with it, a short silver blade.

Alexander sucked in air through his teeth. "Gabriel!" he shouted, as the thin dagger flew through the wind. Alexander shot up his arm.

A wall of darkness thrust up from the ground. Alexander smiled. That was the same technique Nero used to protect him from the light. Now... With his friends protected, Alexander could focus on fighting.

But... That dagger broke through the wall of dense magic, striking Gabriel in the shoulder. Droplets of blood danced in the air as his body was pushed back, only for him to fall to the ground.

Alexander's eyes widened as Gabriel fell to his knees, his white shirt instantly seeping with crimson. His thoughts accelerated until he realized that it was the energy of anti-magic that broke past the spell conjured by his control of his new affinity. His thoughts accelerated until he realized he was now faced with two choices... Protect... Help Gabriel. Or fight. Battle Hector and retrieve the God Crystal.

Hector flashed a grin. 'That's exactly the plan! That's exactly how to stop you, Alexander Lane! I'll make you think and agonize! Concentrate and-'

Alexander spun to Hector. He clenched his jaw.

That grin of Hector's turned nervous as he swallowed his saliva. "You serious?!"

Alexander Lane had already resolved himself, and dashed towards his magic-less enemy.

Anti-Magic. The forced stoppage of magic energy and power.

For the Virtues, combat through magic was an absolute necessity. But Alexander has only been using magic for less than nine months.

Compared to the others like Gabriel, who have been using magic their whole lives, Alexander was a novice. So in order to get just a little bit closer, he's been watching. He's been watching the movements of those he fought with and those he fought against. He trained himself physically and mentally.

Being a Demon-Born, his physical abilities and prowess were above the human average. And now... Every battle he has fought, every bit of pain he had endured... Alexander's efforts were beginning to pay off in this battle against anti-magic.