Page 50: Frustration

An empty thud echoed throughout the room as Gabriel's body clattered to the ground. His impact on a table broke its legs, leaving it to collapse to the floor. Even as a lamp crashed down onto his head, he managed to grab hold of a porcelain cup just inches before it hit the ground.

Gabriel was back at Archibald's office, just days after they returned from their mission on Vanaheim. He spat out a heavy sigh. His tiredness wasn't from any stress, even as the Virtues and Charles Archibald handled the repercussions of losing what the Association declared a destructive weapon.

His weariness came from the fact that his uncle, a man with the body of a sixty-year-old had beaten him time and time again. To the extent where furniture was destroyed, Gabriel accepted, setting down the lamp that struck him onto the polished wooden floor.

"I win," Archibald pointed out. "Again. That makes it... how much, Gabriel?"

Gabriel held in a breath, struggling to quell his shaky breathing, to stop his panting, even as he had the air knocked out of his lungs. "32-0."

"Yep." Charles Archibald smiled. "32 attempts of yours. And 0 successes."

The Paladin continued speaking as Gabriel remained on the floor. "Y'know, I was surprised when you asked me to train you. Are you feeling pressure from Alexander's rapid growth?"

"..."

"What'd I tell you about being honest with yourself?"

Gabriel spat out a sigh, his head drooping over and his golden curls cascading over his eyes. "Yeah," he coldly and plainly muttered.

The Paladin laughed, his toothy grin flashing as he spoke. "I'm guessing you must be pretty annoyed by it. Asking me for help is rare on your part."

Clearing his throat, Gabriel pushed himself up and forced himself to stand. His arms swayed as he brought himself to stand still, wiping his saliva onto his white sleeve. He had no response for his uncle.

And so, Charles Archibald continued for himself. "I'm guessing this is something purely mental. So... say something good about Alexander."

"What?"

"I chose you as the Virtue of Humility with a purpose, Gabriel. Because you have too much pride. But not just that; you're envious of what others are capable of. I can't exactly blame you, considering how your father raised you, but... You're better than that. You're limiting yourself with your thoughts," Archibald declared. "Be virtuous."

Gabriel clenched his jaw. "Alexander's an idiot. That's not coming from my 'pride', it's just objective. Still... He's perceptive."

The echo of Archibald snapping his finger reverberated through the office. "Yep. Alexander realizes what others can't in a battle. He understands more, he sees more. And he does more. Keep it going."

Gabriel's sight was fixed on the floor. He couldn't say something like this while making eye contact with another person. "Alexander doesn't hesitate. He exhibits no restraint. And he keeps moving. Every single time, he changes the conditions. He defies logic. Alexander thrives where no one else can."

A laugh burst out of Archibald's lips. He pressed his hand against his chest as he cackled. "There it is!" he said. "You just said it yourself, Gabriel."

"...Huh?"

"Alexander doesn't hesitate. That's wrong. Of course, he does. Everyone hesitates. But it's a start. Because you have to understand... You, Gabriel, hesitate too much."

Gabriel grit his teeth. He forced himself to stand, launching himself with a clenched fist. And with just a single step at Archibald...

Another blow landed on Gabriel's chest. And once again, he was knocked to the floor, sliding on the wood. Archibald let out a breath and pushed up his glasses as he continued. "Seriously, even now. I'm not even using Infinitesimal and you haven't landed a real hit on me in, what, 20 minutes?"