Page 11: The Day After

Charles Archibald sat at his desk, typing along onto his computer. "Mission Report: Demon of Sloth" he titled it.

He spat out a sigh. Being a Paladin seemed fun when he was younger, but now he had to write reports.

It was boring moments like these that Archibald would dislike his choice to become a Paladin. He simply tolerated the work he hated. He continued to write, his elderly fingers clacking away at the keyboard.

"Belphegor repeatedly attempted to gain distance from both Gabriel Archibald and Alexander Lane, likely due to Gabriel's possession of Excalibur and Alexander's demonic lineage."

"In short, no major injuries were sustained by any of the Virtues, only resulting in minor wounds for each of them. All injuries in question were treated and healed. The seal on Alexander's magic energy was broken sometime in the battle, likely the moment he came into contact with Excalibur. Belphegor, Demon of Sloth, was defeated due to the combined efforts of Alexander Lane, Gabriel Archibald, Leonard Eldar, and Anastasia Velda."

It was at the same time that Alexander woke up. He immediately realized how he had passed out on the couch. He groaned as he sat up.

He grumbled to himself as he patted his chest, making sure that he had actually survived last night's battle. From the corner of his eye, he could see the table by his side to be riddled with paper notes. Those papers were of questions, remarks, and reminders for Alexander, left before his mom left for work.

He smiled as he took in a deep breath. 'Goddammit, why do I feel so great right now?' he thought, staring at his hands.

Alexander had almost died a few times the day before. Plus, he must've only slept a few hours after the battle, and after they met with Archibald.

Even so, his body felt giddy and brimming with energy.

He stood up, his vision suddenly blurring and shaking. Alexander stared at his hands until his vision returned and cleared.

'No, that has nothing to do with this,' he told himself. 'Just low blood pressure.'

He walked off to the bathroom where at himself in the mirror.

He thought back on Belphegor's first hit. The raw power that knocked him back dozens of meters. The strength that burned pain into every inch of his body. And somehow... He stood back up immediately. 'Back then... I definitely wasn't myself. And when I lifted that sword... I fought like it was second nature. I didn't feel anything. No fear or pain.'

He sighed. He was still wearing yesterday's clothing.

His shirt and hoodie were in shambles. Most of his clothes were stained in blood. Alexander sighed. "How the hell do I remove blood from clothes?" he said, taking off his shirt. He dragged his hand diagonally across his chest, the same way the demon's axe tore through his chest. "Thank God that didn't leave a scar, though," he mumbled.

Emilia stared at him in confusion. "Dude, just throw it out. It's torn."

"It's still cool, though. I'll keep it for remembrance. For the first- Well, the second time I fought a demon."

Alexander paused. "Wait, why are you awake? It's like 8 a.m."

"Dude, it's noon."

"It's noon?" he asked, his eyes widening.

Emilia nodded.

"Oh..." Alexander ran out of the bathroom towards his room.

"Where are you going?" Emilia asked, following him up the stairs.