Page 22: A Momentary Calm

Alexander sat in awkward silence. He sat in Archibald's office. And beside him was Emilia. They both stared at Archibald as he smiled at them.

"..."

"..."

"So," the Paladin said. "What can I do for you?" he asked, breaking the near-minute long silence.

Alexander turned to Emilia. "Tell him," he whispered.

"You tell him," she whispered back.

"Dammit, Emilia, just-"

She slammed her elbow into his ribs. Alexander winced before clearing his throat. "Fine, then," he said, letting out a sigh.

"So, Archibald..." Alexander said, his eyes meeting the Paladin's. "Emilia," he said, gesturing to her. "-was wondering if she could come along with us on the mission."

"Quest," Archibald corrected.

"Huh?"

"It's a quest, not a mission. An important distinction, Alexander," the Paladin said with a smile. "So," he continued, turning to Emilia. "Do you have any experience?"

Emilia swallowed her saliva. "...No."

"Then, I'm afraid you can't go," the Paladin said, letting out a sigh and drooping his head. "This mission- Quest, dammit."

Archibald cleared his throat. "This quest will be quite difficult. I don't think it's best for someone inexperienced to go."

"Okay, but..." Alexander interjected. "One could say... that since she needs experience, she should go. To acquire said experience. Right?"

Emilia excitedly nodded. "Plus... I'm getting really good at healing."

"Not that good," Alexander mumbled.

Again, she drove her elbow into the side of his chest. And again, he winced.

Archibald chuckled to himself. "I understand," he said.

Emilia's face lit up.

"But, still... I can't let you."

Her bright smile quickly faded as she drooped her head.

"It's just too dangerous," the Paladin told them. "Even someone like your brother wouldn't be safe. In fact, Alexander got both his arms broken last month ago. Remember?"

Emilia's eyes widened as she turned to Alexander. "You got your arms broken?!" she asked, her eyes glowing with shock and awe.

"Yep," Alexander said pridefully. This was not something to be prideful of.

She smiled. Of course, Alexander would always be the one to get the most injuries.

Emilia understood the possibilities of danger. Even so, that didn't drown out her desire to go on missions and quest. She spat out a dejected sigh.

"Fair enough," she said. "Guess I'll find something else."

"Don't you go to the Magecraft Academy?" a voice asked. "There's plenty of assignations over there, right?"

Emilia turned to face the woman in the corner.

She was tall and had long brown hair that cascaded down her back and reached over her chest. She was a Paladin. Vanessa Romanov.

"Yeah, actually," Emilia said with a smile. She had been giddy for the past twenty minutes, being in a room with two Paladins and all.

Romanov stood next to one of Archibald's towering bookshelves. She held a scarlet-covered book in her hands as she stared at them.