Page 45: The Limit of Zeal

Just as Giovanna forced herself through, the Connection shut.

The impact of her body knocked Hector down to the grassy ground. But he instantly got up and threw the girl off of him. Just a moment later, and that knife she held would be in his intestines.

He sprawled onto the ground and lunged to wrap his hands around the black crystal.

But just like him, Giovanna was quick to get back up. Her eyes were focused on him, and her fingers were still coiled around the weapon's leather hilt.

Even as a battle raged around them, even as magic energy burst into the air, the two of them were only focused on each other. Standing just meters from the castle and its cracking walls, Hector swallowed his dry saliva.

'There's no way she followed me without a plan. Right? If she was one of the chosen Virtues, then it's not like she's an idiot.'

Giovanna's lips spread with a crooked grin.

'So she does have a plan?!'

A Connection burst beside the Virtue, crackling like blue lightning, rigid and jagged, nothing like the smooth darkness Hector emerged from. And the remaining Virtues sped through it.

He took in a sharp breath. "Squad J!" Hector screeched. "On me!"

Half a dozen or so soldiers of the Vanguard sprung at the Virtues. Their pale robes flapped in the flowing winds as they attacked. And Hector began to run away.

Alexander was already trailing behind. Blood and sweat dripped from different parts of his body as each of his muscles ached. His breaths were labored, letting shaky mist into the air. He outreached his hand before he cried out. "Someone stop him!"

But Hector only smiled. He hadn't even heard what Alexander had said. Still, he thought to himself... 'Right now...' he told himself as more and more anti-magic flowed inside of him.. 'I'm unstoppable.'

Two Hunters enclosed Hector, armed and ready to attack.

But with a sudden shift in pace, Hector slipped through them and continued dashing across the island.

"How is that kid so fast?!" Joseph shouted out. "Who even is he?"

"He has the crystal!" Anastasia told him.

Hector's voice remained cool and soft as he ran. After all, Squad J's purpose was to protect him as soon as he got the crystal. Their purpose was to buy him time.

Pillars of stone burst from the ground at the same instant that grey mist surrounded the Virtues. Their line of sight was hazy and disappearing by the instant. And their pathway, their surroundings were blocked.

"Gio-"

"Already on it!" Giovanna shouted out. She slammed her palms into the ground just as Alexander stamped his foot. Within the same instant, each of the pillars and spikes broke apart and fell to the ground they came from.

The Virtues burst past the mist and into the clear purple sky.

Squad J had already run away, chasing after Hector as he slid through the field of battle. Magic attacks and spells exploded the ground all around him, massive bricks of stone and shards of bursting wood falling all around him.

And yet, he wasn't held by a single ounce of worry.

"Now..." he muttered. "It's your time to do something, Atlas."

And once again, a hollow ring of darkness burst into the air right in front of him. With just another step, he flew into the darkness and disappeared.