Page 3: The Hero's Reluctant Acceptance

"Hello?" the voice said. It was none other than Charles Archibald.

"Archibald... It's, uh... It's Alexander," he muttered.

"So... Have you made a decision?"

"The demons... How many casualties usually end up in situations like this?"

Archibald swallowed his saliva. "This is a pretty unusual circumstance overall. But in terms of potential damage... Yeah. Lots of causalities. You'd probably witness some gruesome scenes. Frankly, there's no guarantee that you won't be a victim of some monster like those demons. So... Pick your hell."

"Help people."

Those words echoed in Alexander's mind.

"If I kill those demons... If they're completely eliminated, does that mean there'll be fewer deaths at the hands of monsters like them?"

"Of course."

Alexander thought back on the terrifying, frightening sight he saw just a few hours ago. A sight he never wanted to see. Not the demon. Emilia. He thought back on the fear that enveloped her. Those eyes stained with dread.

And the feeling of death that had enveloped them both.

He spat out a sigh, as he began to stammer. "I..." He sharply inhaled. "I... I join the 'Virtues' or whatever they're called. I'll do it."

"I take it you've prepared yourself for what's yet to come?" Archibald asked as he chuckled.

"No. Not at all. I'll... I'll just eliminate the demons. That's all."

"Well, then. You're really growing on me, kid," Archibald laughed. "Alright then. I'll see you again soon," he muttered as he hung up the phone.

Alexander threw himself on his bed. "All of this... All of this is crazy."

-   -     The Next Day     -   -

A black-haired girl skimmed through a file, reaching a marked page. She stared at the photo of a brown-skinned boy with short black hair and black eyes.

"Why are you showing me this?" she asked, looking up from the file.

"Just read it."

She spat out an exasperated sigh before she began to read aloud, "Name: Alexander Lane. Age: 15. Height: 5 foot, 10." She suddenly paused, quickly looking up.

"Is he really a-"

"Yep." The man in front of her smiled. "You know what to do, don't you?"

The girl sighed, setting down the folder on a table. "Of course, Archibald. It's nothing complicated."

A bolt of lightning crashed nearby, illuminating the room. The girl disappeared along with this light, leaving without a sound.

At the same time, Alexander and Emilia had just gotten home. The walk from school had been quiet, the same as the morning, and the afternoon yesterday.

It was only Wednesday but the week had already been long and tiring.

Alexander sighed as he slowly and tiredly walked up the stairs to his room.

Alexander placed his hand on his doorknob, immediately retracting it. He slowly placed his fingers back on it, feeling the tingling heat, similar to a lightbulb that had been on for too long. 'Where's this heat coming from?'

He coiled his fingers around it, slowly twisting the door open.

There it was. A girl. Just a girl. Her back was facing the door, but Alexander still knew that he hadn't met her before.