Page 16: The Battle of the Labyrinth

Early November.

Anastasia repeatedly slammed her fist into the door of Alexander's home.

Today was the Day of Asmodeus. And Alexander was yet to open the door.

The lock audibly unlatched and the door began to open. But the one behind it... was Carmen Cortés.

Carmen stared at Anastasia, her eyes scanning her for a second. She squinted.

Anastasia squinted in return.

After almost ten seconds of staring at each other in silence, Carmen cleared her throat. "You're here for Alexander, right?"

Anastasia stopped squinting and nodded in silence.

"Perfect," Carmen said. "Uh... Just come on in. And, uh... Wait here," she said. She immediately dashed away, running up the stairs.

Anastasia paused. Was she supposed to wait there or go inside?

She did what seemed reasonable and took a single step to stand in the open doorway.

A commotion followed Alexander as he descended down the stairs, his eyes meeting Anastasia's.

"Sorry. Emilia was being Emilia," he said.

Carmen was behind him. She gripped his arm to grab his attention, as she spoke to him in Spanish.

"What is she doing here?"

"We just gotta go fight the demon thing. Same as last time."

She nodded and smiled. "Yeah, but. She's here."

"What's wrong with that?"

"You have a transporter, don't you?"

"Yeah, but-"

Carmen turned to Anastasia. "She's really pretty, too."

"So that's your point?" Alexander asked as he let out a sigh. "Don't start making me think these thoughts.

"I'm just saying," she said, turning back to Alexander with a smile. "Don't mess it up."

"Don't start this again," Alexander said, groaning as he spoke.

"Do you like her?"

Alexander paused. "...I have to go."

"Just stay safe," she said, kissing her son on his forehead.

"No promises."

"Don't joke about that," she told him.

Alexander waved goodbye and walked through the doorway.

"Sorry about that," Alexander mumbled to Anastasia, letting out a sigh. "My mom was... being herself. You don't speak Spanish, right?"

Anastasia shook her head.

"Perfect," he said.

Anastasia nodded. "But more importantly-"

"Yeah, I know," Alexander said, glancing at his watch. "We gotta go."

"But more importantly," she repeated. "You're wearing cargo shorts."

Alexander paused. "Well... yeah."

Anastasia stared at him for a full ten seconds as she slowly shook her head.

He sighed. "Listen, you're always wearing the same black hoodie, so-"