Page 19: Weakness

"Finally. We won... Anastasia. Get us out of here," Alexander said, cracking a smile. Alexander dug his blade into the ground as the azure sky above them began to crackle with storm clouds. Anastasia clapped her hands together as the sky, the clouds, and the ground all began to mesh together in a flash of pale blue light, all beginning to fade.

The warm magic energy that had enveloped them dissipated.

Alexander let out a heavy sigh. Droplets of sweat dripped down as he winced. Even with Anastasia's "Spatial Cast", his arms were burning with pain. He raised his head. The rising sun's golden light shone on them. Warm streams of light rushed in from behind. But...

They were surrounded by pale grey stone walls.

'What the- A cave? When did we get here?'  Gabriel stared at the cavern wall.

"How'd we get here?!"

"I don't know!"

"Anastasia, get us out of here!"

"O-on it!"

"Alexander! Behind you!" Lumiel shouted. He quickly turned his head. A cloaked man was dashing at him, knife in his hand. But Alexander couldn't react in time. He shifted to the side as the sharp steel slashed across his chest.

'I- I didn't sense him...'

Just a second slower and the knife would've been dug into his chest. Alexander balled his fist, landing a reinforced hit at the side of his chest, knocking him back a few meters. But he was still on his feet.

'Wait... Where's this guy's energy?' Alexander thought.

'Is that why we couldn't sense him? He's keeping his magic extremely suppressed.' Lumiel swallowed her saliva.  'But he's so fast?! No, not that. Could it be that... That he has no magic?!'

'The reason none of us could sense him... is precisely because he has no magic!'

"Alexander!" Lumiel shouted, a bolt of light shooting from her hand as Alexander dashed backward.

The cloaked attacker leaped away as the light flew past him. It struck the far end of the cave, illuminated the path that seemed to be almost a hundred meters.

Alexander suddenly fell to his knees, gagging, coughing. 'What the- Poison?!' He looked up at the retreating attacker, gripping his throat as he continued coughing.

"Dammit," the attacker muttered, scratching the back of his head. "I only had one chance. Now it'll take minutes for you to die. Should've been a few seconds, but you had to dodge, didn't you? Now the whole surprise attack won't work."

Based on his build and his voice, Alexander estimated that he couldn't be more than eighteen. His cloak was the same that almost all Golden Dawn members wore. But his was black. It hid his face as well as any amount of weapons he took with him.

'Whoever the hell this guy is... He has no magic, and he uses non-magic weapons. So he-' Alexander's head got dizzy, his vision blurry. "Fu-"

Gabriel gripped his blade with both hands, as Liam picked Durendal up from the ground.

Gabriel faced the attacker, his azure eyes gleaming with determination. "Lumiel, try to heal Alexander. Anastasia, get us out of here. Liam... Let's bring this guy down."

"He's got no magic at all!" Liam shouted, sprinting forward, twirling the sword in his hand.

Gabriel and Liam dashed towards him, their swords gleaming with the glimmers of golden sunlight.

Liam appeared behind him, cleaving his sword at the boy's neck.

Hector ducked.

Liam's sword clashed against Gabriel's. Hector launched his fist into Gabriel's stomach, with nothing more than a black blur and a sudden indentation in Gabriel's chest.