Chapter Twenty-Two: Another Supporter

Chapter Twenty-Two

Luke

"Is it noticeable?" Melody asked me.

I looked at the spot she was talking about. Was it noticeable? Yes. Matt probably wouldn't be that happy when he saw one. Again.

"Nope," I lied.

"You sure?" Melody asked.

"Positive."

Melody nodded, then slapped my shoulder. "Ow!" I grabbed my shoulder. "What the hell was that for?!"

Melody pointed to her neck. "For giving me this."

I smiled anyway. "Oh come on, Mel. I was just having fun."

Melody rolled her eyes and got out of bed. "Well, I'm hungry and I'm going to eat some breakfast."

I got out of bed, grabbed my crutches, and followed her to the kitchen. Matt was there, eating some eggs. His eyes immediately went to Melody. "Melody," he said. "What the hell is on your neck?"

Melody didn't answer. Instead, she turned to me. "You told me it wasn't noticeable!"

"I may have stretched the truth."

"Luke, stop giving things to my sister," Matt said.

Melody rubbed her neck. "How am I going to hide this?" she asked. "I have to hand in my painting today to the art show!"

"Wear my sweater," I suggested.

"That won't hide the hickey on my neck!" Melody told me, slapping my shoulder again.

"Stop hitting me!"

"Stop giving me these!"

"It's the first one!"

"Yeah, this week!"

I couldn't really object, since I have given her a lot of those. My bad.

"Okay, gross," Matt said. "I'm going to take my breakfast and eat somewhere else." He grabbed his plate, shaking his head as he walked out of the kitchen.

"Luke," Melody whined. "What am I going to do?" She looked at her watch. "I have half an hour before I have to hand in my painting!"

I shrugged as I pulled a can of soda out of the fridge. "Beats me."

"This is your fault, you know," Melody said.

I opened the can and faced Melody with a raised eyebrow. "How is it my fault? I mean, I know I gave it to you, but you were the one who was sitting on the bed, pouting because you didn't get enough sleep. I was making you feel better."

"Do I look better?"

"Yes," I said. "You know, if you stop complaining."

Crystal walked into the kitchen, rubbing her eyes. "Do you guys have to be so loud? I can hear you from my room, Melody."

Melody frowned. "I need help."

"With what?" Crystal asked.

"I don't wear make-up and I know you do," Melody said. "Do you think you could hide this in less than ten minutes?" She removed her hand from her neck and pointed to what I like to call my love mark.

Crystal snorted. "One, yes I can. And two, when don't you have that?"

Melody slapped my shoulder one more time before following Crystal into her bedroom. I quickly chugged the soda and went into Melody's and my room to get changed. Even though I was supposed to be sharing a room with the basketball team, I stayed here since I loved having Melody in my arms when I woke up and I didn't want to get in trouble for the stupid things Lakemoat did. They hadn't ever since my injury since we got some extra practice time, but still.