Chapter Twenty-Four: Choices

Chapter Twenty-Four

Luke

It was the day. The championship of Nationals. Somehow, Lakemoat was able to make it tothe championships. I guessed my awesome yelling was motivating them to do better. There was only one problem.

The championship was the same time as Melody's art show. I wanted to go to support her, but I was the captain of Lakemoat. If I didn't show up, what would it say about the team? But if I didn't support Melody, who would? Matt was going to be in the game, Crystal was going to watch, Daryl was going to watch, leaving nobody else to support Melody.

"Decided yet?" Crystal asked me as she sipped a can of soda. Matt went to the gym early to practice and Melody was in her room.

I sighed and shook my head. "Why do I have to decide? What if I make the wrong decision?"

"You won't," Crystal said. "Look, I know you're on the basketball team as the captain, but you won't be playing. Remember when you were off the basketball team and nobody was there for you except for one person? I think it's time for you to be there for her when nobody else is."

"You think I should go to the art show?" I asked.

Crystal nodded. "Yeah. You should."

I nodded, thinking Crystal is right. When I missed the final shot that could send us to Nationals, everybody ignored me and wasn't there to support me except for one person. Melody. She didn't ignore me when everyone else did. She didn't torment me when the basketball team did. They only cared about basketball, not me.

"You're right," I said. "I should go to the art show with Melody. I'm going to see how she's doing."

I got up and went to Melody's room. I knocked on the door and she said softly, "Come in."

I went in -which was a struggle because of my crutches- and looked at Melody. She was looking in a full length mirror with a sad look. "You okay?" I asked.

She sighed and looked at me. "I can't hide it anymore."

"Hide what?" I asked.

"My belly," she said as she put on the sweater I gave her. She wore it so often that I told her to keep it. "Even with the sweater, people can tell."

"They won't judge," I said, but I doubted it.

Melody sighed. "I'm seventeen, Luke and I have two babies inside of me. If people notice........"

I went to Melody and placed a hand on her cheek. "Hey," I said softly. "Stop worrying about what others may think of you. All that matters is what the people you care about think. Now let's head down to the art show."

Melody furrowed her eyebrows. "Don't you have a basketball game?"

I nodded. "Yes, but you have an art show and you're more important to me than basketball."

Melody smiled her beautiful smile that I love so much. "Thanks, Luke. It means a lot. Well, I'm ready to go.......I guess."

"I'll take you to a late lunch after," I promised. "You deserve it."

Melody smiled as the two of us left the hotel room and made our way to the banquet hall beside the hotel. I was really hoping the basketball team wouldn't see me leave the hotel. When they found out I didn't go to the basketball game, they were going to hate me.

When Melody and I got to the banquet hall, a lot of people were there already. Melody immediately wrapped her arms around her stomach, trying to hide her belly. "Mel," I said. "You can't hide it the whole time."