Chapter 5

Alessandro

I've been sitting in my dads office with him for hours waiting for the officer to show up. My dads phone rang and he picked it up immediately.

"Rei?" I looked at my dad while he was on the phone. He must be coming over to hear what the officer has to say.

"No he hasn't showed up yet, see you in a few minutes." My dad hung up the phone. Right when he put his phone in his pocket there was a knock on the office door.

"Who is it?" I questioned.

"It's Rei, officer Clemons is out here with the officer that delivered the message to Roxy." I looked over at my dad who looked slight uneasy.

"Come in." He said. They all three came in, shook hands with me and my dad.

"Mr.knight, when I got there to deliver the message. Patrick is the one that opened the door, but not long after he did, Roxy came running down. She heard everything." The officer said.

"How did she react?" I asked while crossing my arms in front of my chest. The officer looked slightly uneasy.

"She stared at me for a few minutes. You could see the pain in her eyes, but she ran off before I could say anything."

"What happened later that night?" My father asked.

"She finally ran away. I saw her sleeping in a park before coming here." I looked over at my father who seemed a mix of relief but uneasy." the officer answered.

"Meeting dismissed. Thank you Clemons and officer Fentress, your help was very appreciated."

They left, so it was just me, my dad and Rei. Now I guess it's just the waiting game for her to come back.

Roxanne

I didn't sleep well on the park bench, but it was enough to get me through the day. I sat up and grabbed the pack of mini muffins out of my bag, trying to wake up.

Happy birthday to me I guess.

I had no idea where I was going, but I knew the city wasn't far since that's where Uncle Rei use to take me for my doctors appointments. The morning air was slightly cool, but I knew it was going to warm up. There's wasnt many people at the park since it was pretty early, the sun was barely up. There's a few early morning runners but that's about it. Which is a good thing, I don't really want to deal with a lot of people.

***

Obviously the drive to the city is much faster than walking. I've been walking for hours and I finally made it to the city. Tall buildings towered over top of me, people walking from building to building, but still a lot of people were on the road. Which was backed up in traffic.

I walked past an ally way where I heard talking, I stopped and looked over and saw two men dressed in gym clothes talking. Me being a very curious person, I quietly walked up to the dumpster close to them and hid behind it to hear what they were saying better.

"You have good recruits?" The one man asked. I slowly peaked around the corner. He looked to be about late 20s, tall, muscles slightly bulging through his tight athletic shirt, and a pair of grey joggers. He had dark brown hair that looked to be swooped back with gel. He was undeniably attractive.

"No sir, I'll keep looking though, I'm sure I'll find someone soon. I'm sure there's someone who's desperate enough to earn money and be strong enough to handle the job." The other man said. He was slightly shorter and smaller built than the other man. He was also younger, maybe early 20s. He has a red zip up jacket with basketball shorts.

A job huh? Maybe I can work for them. I mean I'm 15 now, they could probably just pay me under the table. I quickly got up and walked in front of the dumpster, the clearly didn't see me.

"I'm in need of a job." Both men looked at me with a questioning look.

"And how old are you exactly?" The taller man said.

"I just turned 15, today to be exact. I prom-" the man interrupted me.

"No, no excuses, you're too young. Go back home kid."

"I don't have a home, I'll do anything, I promise." I pleaded trying to change his mind, I really needed to do something. I can't go back there.

"My-" the taller man tried to speak but the shorter man interrupted him.

"Wait a minute Ian, didn't you say you were looking for a young recruit?"

"Yea, but not a 15 year old girl." the taller man said, who I now know is Ian.

"So what if she's 15, I'm sure you can work with her. You're the best in the business anyways. Plus, if she really means she doesn't have a family, do you really want an innocent kid roaming the streets the rest of her life?" Ian thought for a moment on the other guys statement while looking at me.

He sighed. "Fine, but this job isn't easy kid." I nodded my head in response. "Jared I'll call you if I need anything else. Come on kid." The Jared guy nodded his head and walked past me giving me a gentle smile. I looked back over at Ian who was started walking off so I started jogging to catch up to him.

We walked into an old bar off the corner. Am I even aloud in here? When we got in there, it was almost a ghost town.

I followed Ian to a door in what seemed like the break room. There was a passcode on the door and Ian quickly punched in the numbers. There was a click sound which meant the door unlocked.

I followed Ian down the stairs to what looked like a basement. Shit, did I just get kidnapped? Is he going to kill me? What kind of job does he do that deals with being in a basement? My anxiety started to rise.

I followed him around a corner and it looked like a big gym. There was a boxing ring in the middle. To the left was weights and to the right was treadmills and bikes. So does he run an underground gym? In a bar?

"Welcome to the underground kid, what I'm about to tell you, must not leave here." He turned to look at me with a stern voice. I nodded my head to let him know I understood, I have no one to tell anyways.

"I train illegal fighters. You fight well, you earn money. I'm Ian Black by the way. What's your name?" He held out his hand and I returned the hand shake.

"Avery Knightly." He lowered himself to my height, geez he's tall. He looked me straight in the eye studying my face. He had a look of confusion though.

"Knight-ly? Hmm." I raised a brow when he paused in between the "knight" and the "ly" of my name.

"Uh, yes sir." I was confused on why he said my name the way he did. I didn't ask why though. He started walking again and I just followed him through the facility.