Chapter 19

Roxanne

After I woke up the bus was already stopped somewhere, I figured I was far enough out so I decided to go on ahead and get off.

I quickly checked my surroundings, there wasn't anything major about this place. It was small. The buildings are a lot smaller that the city. This is more suburban.

I continued to walk down the street when I saw a small cafe, it had a "now hiring" sign in the window. I have quite a bit of money from the fights over the past 3 years, but it's only temporary money, I'll have to get a job to be able to live here. I took a deep breath after thinking on it and walked into the cafe.

I walked up to the counter and there was a girl who had long strawberry blonde hair that was neatly pulled back into a ponytail. She had tan skin and freckles spread across her face. When she finally noticed me after closing the cash register she smiled.

"Hello, are you ready to order?" She spoke with a soft tone. She seems nice.

"Actually I'm here for a job, I saw the hiring sign in the window."

"Oh of course, give me one second." I nodded and she walked back into the kitchen area. While I waited I looked around, I noticed several black and white pictures, I assume are of famous celebrities. The only one I recognize is Marilyn Monroe. The walls are a pale pink and the floors are black and white checkered. I finally noticed movement coming out of the kitchen. It was the girl I talked to and another woman, she looked a little bit older.

"Hi, I'm Rachel the manager. Shelby here said you're looking for a job" she reached her hand out to shake mine and returned the favor. I nodded my head.

"I'm Avery." She smiled. She seems nice as well. Her chocolate eyes match the short, shoulder length chocolate colored hair with honey blonde highlights. Both girls don't seem much older than I am.

"Well sugar, why don't you follow me back here and we will get your interview out of the way?" She smiled and I smiled back. As soon as she turned around my smile faded. I've never done a job interview, I don't even know what questions they ask. Shit, I wonder if I can lie my way through it if I have to? No, I shouldn't, just tell her the truth when she asks. She just can't know about the underground.

"Have a seat Avery." We walked into a small office. Rachel pointed at the chair and I proceeded to sit down.

"So, how long have you lived here?" I'm not quite sure if she means California in general or whatever town this is that I'm in now.

"Well, I've lived in California all my life, but I just moved here."

"Hmm, have you ever worked at a cafe before?" Oh no, I bet since I haven't she won't hire me.

"No" she just smiled at me.

"Well don't worry about that, you've got the job." I raised a brow at her and she just got up from behind the desk. I just got the job after telling her I've never worked at a cafe before? Doesn't she need to run a background check or something? I mean what if I was a murderer? Or worse, what if I was in a mafia and I planned on killing everyone here to be able to run this company for my own benefit?

"Come on sugar, let's go get you a uniform." I got up and followed Rachel out of her office and into what looked like a storage area. She grabbed a pale pink a baby blue apron, as well as a white blouse.

"Here sugar." She handed me the uniform," you can wear jeans, you'll begin working Friday." She smiled at me. Maybe I should ask her if she knows of any good apartment places around here.

"Excuse me Rachel?" She turned around and smiled.

"Whatcha need sugar?"

"Do you happen to know of any good apartment places to live in that are affordable? Also any good stores to be able to buy some jeans?" She smiled. She told me about this apartment place that's right up the street. She also told me about this store that sells really nice jeans.

I decided to go on ahead and check in for an apartment. I'll say, It's not the prettiest place I've seen but it's still nice. It's all older people who live here. I'm on the second floor. I walk in, I paid for an already furnished apartment so I didn't have to buy it all myself.

I'll probably go to the store tomorrow to get some jeans for work Friday.

While I was unpacking some of the stuff in my backpack I started to hear yelling coming from outside. I walked out the door but didn't see anything, then I realized it was right below me. Sounds like a mom and dad punishing their son.

I decided to grab my jacket and walk to the store, I can at least go get some groceries.

Once I walked outside they were still downstairs ranting, geez I feel bad for the kid.

Actually no I don't, there's no telling what he's done. As I walked down the stairs, I noticed they stopped yelling immediately.

"Isaac, are you even listening?" I hear the mom say.

I stop and see him staring at me, he has light brown hair with tan skin. Damn is everyone in this area tan? His parents gaze follow his to me. The mother sighed.

"I'm sorry honey, did we disturb you?" The mother asked. Great I've just been singled out.

"No, I was just going to the store. Carry on." I at least, tried to sound nice there. Since fighting in the underground, I've had a harder time being nice and respectful towards people. I continued to walk on.

"Hey,wait!" I hear a males voice shout.

"Isaac get back here!" It must be Isaac after me, since his mother just yelled at him.

"Uh, I think your mom wants you to go back." I stopped and turned around to see him running up towards me.

"Eh I'll just listen to her yell at me later. You want some company?" I rolled my eyes and started walking away.

"Actually, i'd rather be alone, thanks though." I hear his footsteps coming up behind me.

"Ah, come on, you're going to be my neighbor, might as well get to know ya." I rolled my eyes once again. Geez this kid is pushy, just like Josh. Oh how much I miss his annoying/ flirty comments. I miss all of them and it's only been a day. I noticed I had been out of my thoughts and I come back into focus and notice Isaac walking right next to me looking down at me. Damn he's attractive, he's wearing a black t-shirt and black denim jeans. You can see a tattoo peeking underneath his shirt. He has grey eyes. I took a deep breath and sighed. I guess some company won't hurt anything, I don't know this place that well so maybe he can help.

"You promise to stop talking so much?" I questioned and he just chuckled.

"How am I suppose to get to know you if I can't ask you questions?" I rolled my eyes, Damn he's pushy.

"How about tomorrow night we hang out and you get to know me, if you promise to keep quiet tonight. I'm tired and I've had a long day." He nodded and we proceeded to walk to the store in silence.

When we got back to the apartments he walked me up to mine. What a gentleman.

"So can I at least get your name?" He asked. I laughed and rolled my eyes. When I looked back he was smiling from ear to ear, aww his smile is adorable. Wtf... shut up Avery, everything is temporary here.

"Avery." His smile formed into a smirk.

"Well goodnight Avery."

"Goodnight Isaac." I finally closed the door and went straight to bed, today has been eventful.