Chapter Fourteen

"On the beds ladies!' The last girl said clapping her hands. She went to sit on her bed by the window, and getting comfy, grabbed her long blond platted hair and began to play with a little bobble on the end. She looked vaguely similar to the rude girl I'd met earlier, but this girl seemed nicer.

The other girls sat on their beds, grabbing their pillows to rest on them. I declined to do this but moved the books I'd left earlier onto the floor beside me. Perri then coughed to get everyone's attention. Looking up at them, they were all staring at me. "Oh, do I have to go first?" I hated things like this, I always felt uncomfortable.

"You can if you want," Perri smiled giving me the option.

The others shared the same thought, seeming expectant to go first but it wasn't me. "No, its okay, I'll go last."

Perri nodded and the girls seemed to approve of this. Was she the leader or something like that? Perhaps she'd been here the longest? I really didn't know how this system worked, even if there was a system within the dormitories. Either way, I was attentive to everything they were doing and said. "Okay, then I'll go first. Right, I'm Perri Weatherby, I'm eighteen and I arrived last week. I'm a Virgo and I'm stoked to be here and finally have a reason to leave home, for good." The girls laughed. "Okay, I'm done."

"My turn! I'm Fraya," the Asian girl waved, her bed was directly opposite mine. I was unsure whether I'd regret this setting, "and I'm totally hyper, which sometimes can be construed as bad and maybe irresponsible, but that's just so not true. I've never lacked energy or enthusiasm, so I class it as sheer determination." The others giggled. "So, I'm also eighteen, I'm a Capricorn I used to love sunbathing, but that aint gonna happen anymore and my favourite colour is pink, no wait it's purple... actually what's the colour that's a pinky purple?"

"Magenta?" I offered.

"YES! My favourite colour is magenta." She giggled. "Okay, I'm done too." I was seriously debating with myself whether this girl was completely genuine or whether there was something hidden under all that enthusiasm that she kept from the world.

The blond girl who hadn't said a single word just nodded once and seemed just as ill about the prospect of speaking as me. "Right my turn," she breathed out deeply. "I'm Sophie Dallas, as in Dallas Texas but I'm from Hertfordshire." She spoke as though she'd rehearsed it and it sounded bored. "Um... my favourite colour is sky blue I guess, I'm a Sagittarius, I'm eighteen as well. And I arrived three days ago, totally confused about this gargoyle thingy, but my big sister is amazing. And go," she clicked her fingers towards Grace which seemed to surprise Perri. Perhaps there was something in her introduction that no one knew about.

"I'm Grace Charmers, been here for four days. I'm a Leo, growl." The girls giggled. "I'm seventeen, but I'll be eighteen in a few months," she added as though it was the most important fact of her life.

"Aww!" The girls said all together.

Grace shrugged sheepishly. "I know, the baby of the group. But yeah and my favourite colour is red and... I love beef lasagne." Everyone then looked at me.

I hadn't really thought of what I was going to say apart from my name but I was so, so thankful that I was only given that small opportunity to say only that. The butterflies erupted in my stomach and my mouth went dry. Though only small in numbers, public speaking wasn't for me. "Okay, well I'm Verity Hobbs and-"

"Can all students please come to the cafeteria at once!" A male voice sounded outside of the room. "I repeat can call students please come to the cafeteria at once!"

"That sounds like Headmaster Sorren." Grace jumped off the bed. "Come on, let's go." The five of us joined the sea of students who were trailing out of their rooms, all of us heading in the same direction.