Chapter Twenty-four

Master Skye moved to his desk, his tail flicked side to side like an angered cat. I was unsure whether he was actually angry or if gargoyle tails were there just for balance, as well as fighting. I would have to ask that question and hope it wasn't a delicate one.

My hands wrung as Perri and I stared at our very inane objects. Apart from the very fluffy kitten, where the girls around our table cooed like mother hens at the "Cute baby kitten" and laughed when it tried to jump onto the floor, we took it in turn to become acquainted with the objects on our desks. Apart from the kitten, Perri and I were also given a ceramic pot filled with sugar and a normal-looking rubber band.

"Perri," I mouthed, "check if anyone else has been given a food substance."

She turned in her seat then after a few seconds shook her head. "No. Just us. Why?" I didn't reply to her. "You aren't going to try it, are you? What if it's poison?"

"It won't be poison," I laughed but wasn't entirely sure if I believed it.

"Let's go through the other items before we decide." She giggled as the kitten sat on her shoulders. "I think the kitten is normal."

Tutting at her, I picked up the rubber-band and twirled it around my fingers. Stretching it a few times I found that it did nothing magical. It didn't fly, or float and putting it around my wrist did nothing to me. After a few minutes I concluded that I felt nothing from it, by touching it and even giving it a quick whiff, it smelt of a normal rubber-band. I passed it to Perri who copied me as she examined it. The kitten had now jumped down onto the floor and decided to play with Lexi's laces. I didn't want to play with the kitten. I wanted to observe these two items so I would hopefully get an understanding of what was magic or not. I reached for the sugar pot, the last item, and gasped as I saw it shake as my hands approached it. Retracting my hands, I tested it one more time.

"Did you see that?"

Perri nodded. "Let me try." Placing the rubber-band down, she reached for the sugar pot and it shook again. "It's magic!"

"Or a spell has been placed on it," I told her wisely. "But the kitten and the rubber-band, one of them has to be magic also."

Perri went to catch the kitten and brought it back to the table. Finally, she gave it to me to hold. It purred under my touch and as I smoothed it, the fluffy ball of fur turned upside down and I jumped in shock. Even Perri gasped. The kitten wasn't fully a kitten. It had strange scales underneath it, like some sort of weird lizard. "Spell on it?" Perri suggested and I was quick to agree but Master Skye clapped his hands to get everyone's attention.

"Right everyone, I hope you have decided. Your objects are now gone!' And the desks were cleared. Master Skye picked up the seating chart. "So, let's start with the boys, Lauri and Calum. Please tell everyone what items you had and tell us which you thought was completely magic, partly magic or just a normal random object."

Perri and I turned in our seats. "We had a lizard, a ball of yarn and a watch," Lauri told everyone. "The ball of yarn, we found was probably an item that had a spell on it, the lizard I think is just as lizard but the watch we know was completely magic."

"Why?"

"The watch moved when we tried to touch it," Calum explained. "And the ball of yarn wouldn't unravel. So, we assumed that the lizard was just a lizard."

"Okay," Master Skye nodded. "And let's listen to Rose and Victoria."

"We had a tin of beans, a lampshade and a pen," Rose said.

"And which was magical?"

"The tin of beans," Victoria told him, a few people tittered.

"Why?"