Chapter Forty

Sorren stood and led me out of the room. Closing the door, we went straight to the receptionist. "We are heading to the meeting. If anyone wants to speak to me-."

"I'll tell them to call back later," she said in a bored voice.

"That's my girl," Sorren winked.

Passing several students, they didn't even whisper or glance at us as they went to and fro busying with school work, laughing with their friends and I was surprised at how upset I was and how much I missed being here. "Your cut," he pointed to my cheek. "It's healed." I nodded and touched it lightly. "It still hurts though, doesn't it? Demon cuts take a long time to heal. I wish I hadn't have-"

I had to change the subject. He couldn't worry about me anymore. "Um, how many people are at this meeting?" Sorren descended the stairs and headed to the front door. If anything it looked like we were heading towards the church.

The night air was still with the faint scent of dew but the sense of demons lurking out there made me worry for the academy. Hadriana had not spoken much about any demon attacks to Lauri and me but I got the impression she didn't want to worry us. "Me and you, plus three elders from Malta, plus Hadriana-."

"Why is she here?" I interrupted.

"To attest your progress. And there's also Lauri. I managed to grab hold of him earlier on to ask if he wants to join. And Tara is making an appearance."

"Why is she here?"

He scowled. "The elders called her in. Like she hasn't got enough to deal with. And also Xelphus. And he is coming to attest to the demon attacks and your power of light."

"Ah."

As I suspected we went into the church for the meeting. It was bright and slightly atmospheric with incense wafting around and loads of flickering candles dotted around the ledges under the stained glass windows. The pews had miraculously vanished and in the middle of the church was a large round table with several high backed chairs. Some were already filled.

Sorren took his seat and I sat beside Lauri. "Are we waiting for King Arthur?" I laughed, which echoed around the room. Besides Lauri and Sorren, there were two other people sat at the table, wearing purple hooded cloaks. I didn't know either of them, but they glowered at me. Large polished horns menacingly poked out from underneath. "I guess they are the elders from Malta." I whispered.

Lauri nodded. "Yeah. Don't know their names though. I suppose we'll be introduced to them soon."

The church door opened and two people came in. Hadriana and Xelphus and it were plainly clear they did not like one another. Xelphus strode on, barely acknowledging that Hadriana was even beside him and Hadriana flicked her hair, like a horse flicking away a fly with its tail. Taking their seats beside Lauri and me they didn't utter a single word. I tried to start up a conversation with Hadriana, but she blanked me completely and I wondered why. Was it because of the elders being there? Or was there some sort of rule to not talk before a meeting? I had no idea, but these masters looked rather scary. I saw nothing but their shadowy faces and their clasped hands in front of them. The only way to distinguish one from the other was that one of them had a long black beard.

"Sorry, I'm late!" I heard a voice from above and then a bright flash of blue light appeared from in the middle of nowhere and Tara emerged out of the light and strode towards a chair, her wings swept some of the dust on the flagstone. "Kinda busy at the moment. Oh hi Hads. Had a good week with these two?" she nodded between Lauri and me.

"Yup," she nodded. "They are doing really well."

"Excellent. Nice to hear." Tara sat down, moving her wings aside to get comfy and stared at everyone, nodding as she counted. "We are missing one more, aren't we?"