Chapter Three

"Wow," I turned and looked at my sister. "I'm a collectable. I wonder how much I'm worth." Turning I gave Deam a scathing look. "What a horrible thing to say!"

He smirked. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. We're here to help you, to take you to a new school."

"A school? Why, isn't the one I have good enough? Or are my parents so freaked out that they are sending me to a school far away so they never have to see my hideous ears or eyes?"

His brows met in the middle and the happiness drained from his face so quickly. "No, I didn't mean it like that."

"You are still in your pyjamas," Rosie whispered behind me. "Don't you want to get dressed first?" She had a point, but I was a little irritated that this random guy wanted me to go to a school. Was this my parent's punishment?

"No, and I don't care," I snipped at her. "So, what did you mean then?" Rounding on him. "You barge into my house, scare the crap out of my family and want to take me away? Kidnappers clearly have taken a modern turn."

Rosie made an agreeing noise behind me.

He held his hands up. "I'm not a kidnapper. I'm a student at this school that you'd find a much better environment than the school that you're in now," he said in a testy manner. "You don't have to come with us, but you'd understand more about what's happening to you."

"My parents are trying to find some special doctor-"

Dean sighed in an exasperated tone. "No doctor can explain what is happening to you. But the headmaster at my school can." He folded his arms. "We're not forcing you, but you'll fit in at my school."

"What makes you think she even wants to fit in?" Rosie asked as she came out from behind me, putting her hands on her hips like my mother. "You have some nerve saying that!"

"Are you two always so confrontational?" he asked sounding a little affronted. "Help is here for you, take it or leave it. I'll be downstairs waiting for your decision. You have half an hour if you want to pack anything... if you want to come with us that is." Dean turned around and headed along the landing and before he disappeared down the stairs, I called out to him.

"What happens if I say yes?"

"You have seen that sci-fi film where you are offered two coloured pills? One to forget everything and the other to live a new life that opens your eyes?" I nodded. "This is that moment where I'm offering you a different life, one that you are destined to do." He shrugged. "Decide to take it or leave it."

Once he left, I found myself staring at a coffee stain on Rosie's carpet; she was a bugger for spilling her coffee and never cleaned it up properly. I heard Rosie move away and sit on her bed and turning, saw her cry which greatly upset me. I moved over to her and kneeling on the carpet looked up at her. "What's with all the crying?"

"You're going to go away." Taking hold of her hands I squeezed them gently, not really knowing what to say. "And what if it happens to me and I have to go away?"

"Oh you silly billy," I laughed and put my arms around her and hugged her. "Just because this has happened to me means it'll happen to you. This all started with that damned cross exploding out of that cabinet in the museum. You weren't there it was just me. Anyway, no school can hold me for long; I'm too much of a troublemaker to last a whole term."

Rosie shook her head, more tears spilling from her eyes. "I don't think so. Before all this rubbish over the past few weeks, I've seen you become more and more down. If these people are like you, perhaps you will fit in and you'll stay there."