Chapter Forty-six

Dean found me sitting on a rock just behind the academy at half-past three that morning. I was watching the purple flashes of the protection net that flared up every now and then when a demon tried to penetrate it. After watching them for over an hour, I'd come to the conclusion that they were either dumb or highly intelligent. I told this to Dean as he sat beside me.

"Why do you think they are dumb?"

"Because," I began as I unsheathed my sword absentmindedly and began to unnecessarily clear it on my jeans. "They keep trying to attack the protection net every time at the same point. Kind of reminds me of a fly smacking a window trying to get out, they do it over and over again even though it's fruitless. However," I added, "it could also mean they are intelligent and ruthless. That they believe they've found one single flaw within the protection net and are relentless in giving up." A demon with a hawk-like beak screeched as it attacked the same section after twenty-two failed attempts of getting through. "Though I despise demons, I have to admire them." The creature hissed at me and slunk into the shadows, biding its time for another attack.

"You know," Dean began, "you probably won't believe me, but all demons are intelligent even the foot-demons. They are all cold and calculating, it's just that some take orders from others." There were five demons out tonight. Each one had picked a special place to attack the net. They hissed and spat at one another and it gave me pause for thought. I asked Dean if they had their own language.

He chuckled. "Of course they do. As there are so many demons from so many cultures and countries, they created a universal language to communicate with one another, which is intelligent you have to admit." I suppose, I thought. "Lauri told me about what happened with the elders."

Groaning I hit the damn ground beside me. "What the hell is the deal with telling everyone!"

"I'm his big brother and he wanted to talk about it. I guess you haven't spoken to the girls?"

"No," I snapped. "And I don't want to either. It's got nothing to do with them. Besides," I sighed, putting my chin on my knees, "it'll only upset them."

"Them or you?" he asked. "Verity, I don't need to be an empath to know it's troubling you. Lauri is freaking out as well. The elders and that Ancient have given you a bad deal and you have to deal with what's to come."

"Oh be quiet," I barked. "You don't have to face anything like this, so stop saying it like you are some freaking counsellor. You and Hadriana and Perri and Sorren can all give us meaningful words like, 'Don't give up,' and 'Believe in yourself,' and 'You've been trained well, you'll know what to do.' What a load of bull! It's hit home to both Lauri and me. The elders are pissed at Hadriana for her taking us in, so they've been spiteful. They've said beat these demons along with the two other watchers or you will have to join us." I laughed. "Yeah, right that's beyond stupid."

Dean furrowed his brows. "I don't understand."

"Are you serious?" I asked. "Dean, think this through, Lauri and I won't be going to the elders in Malta whatever the outcome."

Scoffing he shook his head. "Now, you're being silly."

"No, Dean. I've thought about it for a long time. The elders really are mad with our choice to stay with Hadriana over them. Even Grace asked me why I'm not training with our own kind. Wouldn't it upset the elders if an immortal and not a gargoyle, trained watchers to the point that rendered them superfluous? If Lauri and I won, it would show the elders that their use and power in our world count for nought. They can't have that. If anything the entire thing sounds like a trap. Lauri and I have been pouring over books in the library and while there is limited information about watchers, there are countless mentions of the elders coming to the rescue. They are the ones who decide all our fates and they have, inevitably, decided Lauri's and mine."