Chapter Twenty-five

February slowly turned into March. Daffodils and crocuses sprung up around the grounds and lambs bleated in the fields across the road when we were trying to sleep. The one thing that nearly everyone was talking about was Von and Amalie who were in the lip-lock world record. It was quite disgusting, to say the least. Grace and I had had a few problems since they were going out with each other, but it came to the point where we had to figure out our problems together, or at least ask other mature Gargoyles.

During the second week of March, Mistress Adams gave us each a form to fill out for a small field trip to a nearby church to practice weapon training. I wished to speak to Von about this, but he was no-where to be seen, yet again.

In the cafeteria the girls and I had gathered around for lunch we had just sat down and began to eat when I started the usual annoyance of Von and Amalie. "I can't believe that arse has vanished!" Sophie and Perri were getting annoyed that Grace and I kept bringing this topic up for discussion and decided not to intervene; Fraya, on the other hand, was more than happy to oblige. She reached across the table and gentle patted my hand.

"It's not your fault," she said, tucking into her chicken pie. "But listen, I overheard one of the teachers talking about them. It seems that they have quite literally vanished from the school."

Perri joined in by then, rolling her eyes. "Nope, I don't believe that for one second. They wouldn't dare leave. They are third-year students; they haven't finished their training yet." Fraya shrugged which seemed to unnerve us all.

Sophie pushed a few peas around her plate, "New topic please, let's talk about this field trip we are going on." She sighed as though even that would be boring but it did give us something other than them to discuss.

Fraya clapped her hands. "Oh, I don't know! But I am so excited!"

Sophie smiled, "You always are, but yeah, I think it'll be rather interesting."

"I wonder what weapon I'll be using?" she asked herself.

We had, only briefly, gone through some of the weapons training or the basics so that we know not to hurt ourselves and each other. We'd all tried broadsword, long sword, sabre, cutlass, katana, pike, spear and the dreaded archery, which I really was terrible at. Fraya being Fraya, wished to try the mace but Master Blackheart wouldn't allow it saying it was for second-year students and up which greatly disappointed her. "I wouldn't mind trying the bow and arrow," Sophie said, "just wished I could aim better."

"Oh that would take some time," Perri added. "Me, I'd rather stick to good old fashioned magic without the use of weapons. I'd feel cheating if I used a weapon."

As the girls droned on about the field trip and which church we'd be going to, I saw Dean and Rowan with their girlfriends in the line for food. They seemed to happy that I was almost jealous of them. I had never had a boyfriend. I came close once when I asked a guy out but that was as far as I got as he told me he didn't like me that way but could I ask my friend if she liked him instead. Yeah, that really happened. I was such a loser.

We finished lunch and had a little time left to chill out before our next lesson, which happened to be magic with Master Skye, so we headed back to our dorm room.

Grace entered the room dramatically and flung herself on her bed. "Goddamn Amalie." Perri and Sophie groaned. "You know," she said sitting up with a strange, perplexing expression on her face, "come to think of it, I went to her room this evening before breakfast and the girls didn't know where she was." She snapped her fingers at Fraya. "I think the teachers are right,  they've run off together!"