Chapter Forty-one

That very night, the elders had left with a happy bounce in their step. Lauri and I watched them go as they flew off into the night looking, hideous bat-winged vampires. Although they left with a taste of bitterness in our mouths, Lauri and I made a pact to work diligently. We explained this to Sorren as we walked back to the front door, but he appeared worried and so he would be. Hadriana tried to reassure him but even she sounded a little deflated. The elders had thrown us all into a corner and there was only one way out. It was irritating Hadriana to no end. She hissed and spat in weird languages I had never heard of before and stamped her foot like a petulant child as we entered the foyer.

"I won't give up this easily, I've worked too damn hard!" she finally snapped, her frizzy hair seemed electrified by her maddening energy. "I have to think. I'm going for a walk."

Sorren sighed, "Hadriana, it's still dark out."

"Don't have to be a gargoyle to see in the dark you know," she hollered. "Keep the door unlocked. I won't be long."

Sorren waited by the bottom of the steps. "I have a meeting with Deputy Blackheart and Hadirana, whenever she feels like turning up. We are to go over your curriculum over the next few weeks before exams."

"We still get exams?"Lauri asked slightly indignant. "Aren't they, beneath us?"

I rolled my eyes.

"No, Mister McCoy, they are not! Hadriana will keep an eye on you. As far as I am concerned you are both doing very well, you just need more practice and time." He stared at the top of the stairs for a second. "If I do not see either of you, later on, I wish you goodnight." Hastening up the stairs, we saw him head in the direction of his office.

"Everyone will be waiting for me," I said softly, staring at him I saw he was just as upset as I was. "I miss my friends but I, I don't feel like going to speak to them just yet. How are your friends doing? They missed you, I bet."

He shrugged. "Yeah but we're guys. There's no screaming hugs for us," he smirked at me. "Just a good old punch on the shoulder, ask if each of us are okay and that was it. They didn't seem to include me in what was happening here. Were the girls the same?"

I was surprised that he had been treated like that but I shook my head. "No, the girls were kind to me, they even told me about what they've overheard from the teachers and the two watchers being from China and Sweden. I think it's amazing. I hope we get to meet them one day."

Lauri gave me a little smile but when I caught him staring at me it was wiped off his face. "We will, Ver, but we'll be going against them. They'll be no screaming girly hugs to give them. We'll be duking it out with a hoard of demons just to prove ourselves." I was feeling sick of this impending battle and Lauri was as well as he quickly turned pale the more he thought about it.

"You know, it would be ironic if I ended up having wings as a trait," Lauri mentioned as we headed towards the cafeteria changing the topic entirely.

"You don't like them?" It was a relief to talk about something normal. The girls and I had discussed our traits. I wasn't the only one whose horns was coming through, Sophie, was also in a similar boat to me.

"Ew no. Sorren looks like a giant bat when he's flying around." Lauri chuckled and we sat at an empty table for a bit of peace and quiet.

It was just after three in the morning. Students were scattered around the academy. Some were either in their rooms chilling out or studying in the library, playing ball games behind the canteen, or having a walk around the grounds. There wasn't much else to do.

Lauri and I heard Hadriana come storming back into the academy and headed into Sorren's office. I didn't really understand why Lauri and I still had to train away from the academy when the demon threat had died down. But Lauri told me not to ask about it.