Chapter Twenty-seven

We left magic class in shock. Whispers follow Lauri down the corridor and out into the grounds for weapon training. He was surrounded by his friends and a few of the other girls in the class who practically fawned over him. "What the hell was that?" Grace asked. "I did not see Lauri as a Watcher. I saw him as other things, but not that!"

"Well, didn't Tara say that there is more than one Watcher in this year?" Perri told her. "Clearly, it's Lauri. Wow, why is a total scumbag like him a Watcher? That's so unfair."

I saw Fraya, who was just as downcast as she was in the classroom. I slinked my way between the others and walked beside her. "Fraya, I'm so sorry about what happened in the cafeteria. I... it's something you said pushed me over the edge." She stole a glance at me. "There's something which has-"

She walked faster, not letting me finish. Perri hurried to catch up with her and after a quick chat, Perri put her arms around Fraya's neck. Grace and Sophie walked ahead of me too, talking about what Lauri had done. It stung me that my little outburst had caused this rift so quickly between us. If three was a crowd, what the hell was five?

Von, who had specialised in weapon training, had left Master Blackheart in a rather difficult position as he used to help him out. Though he was the deputy head of the academy, he was also the master of weapon training and was finding it difficult to help students who had asked for extra classes.

"Good afternoon class," he said though a brilliant moon hung in the air above us. "So today I want you to pick two weapons that you have been familiar with and practice on those dummies there." He indicated the magical wooden dummies that turned and jumped if you tried to attack them. "For you archers, or spear and pike throwers, you are over there by the target boards. If you need help setting anything up, please call for me."

"What are you going for?" Perri asked the girls. The four of them were huddled next to the swords but as I sucked at any sword techniques, I decided to peel away from them and picked up a bow, a quiver of arrows and headed on to the target boards.

There were several archery targets, so no one person would have to share. We all waited for Master Blackheart to give us the sign that we'd be ready to practice. He eventually got round to us archers. There were only three of us. Luckily for me, Lauri was over with the swords. "Your tab Miss Hobbs, unless you like hurting your fingers?" He gave me a right-handed tab. "Take your stance, knock your arrow, sweep your arms up, elbow back, not too high," he came and adjusted the height for me. "Breathe in, then out, lock onto your target and release..." I released my first arrow and it went straight past the target. I was far too left. Dejected I apologised. "Don't be sorry, just re-aim and focus," he tapped his nose and went to the next student.

Knocking back an arrow, I followed all the steps, breathed in and out, aimed and let it fly. I caught the target, but it was still far too left, then re-adjusted a little to the right, and then... missed the target.

Waiting until the others flew their arrows, we were given the all-clear to collect the arrows and return to our range point. We were allowed another three sets of volleys and I still missed all of the targets, which irked me with every arrow that flew astray.

Master Blackheart called time and we placed our arrows, quivers and bows back in the store cupboard and went for our second weapon to practice. The girls chose pikes to throw and completely blanked me as we swapped sides. I felt so pathetic I wanted to cry but they'd be no use doing it. Why was bullying so freaking awful? This can't be because of what I yelled out at Fraya, surely? I didn't mean to do it and I apologised.

"Miss Hobbs." I jumped as Master Blackheart was in front of me. How long did I space out? "What weapon is your choice?" I noticed the other students were already posted by their dummies or in front of their targets. I had only handled a sabre but didn't find it fitting enough.