Chapter 9

The Red Fox exhibit was finished and Keith had decided upon the Orangutan exhibit to build next. "The glass fencing's done, the trees are planted and the play items are built. Now we wait and rest until the trees have grown fully and then we can finish it off with the toys and the other plants." Keith was very proud of what had been completed.

Lance was beyond exhausted at this point, but he just couldn't bring himself to make Keith do all the work. Keith was still the only official staff member in the rescue. It was a lot of work for Keith to run the place on his own, so Lance wanted to help out whenever he could.

Lance decided that he would ask Keith out on a date before the end of the month. He had been staying with Keith for about 5 weeks now and he couldn't bear to wait any longer. However, Keith was always so busy all the time. Lance couldn't find the right time to ask Keith out and was starting to irritate him.

Keith was currently working in the lab, he had found some fossils while making the orangutan exhibit and he was very happy about it. Keith was examining the fossils to find out what they were from.

Lance went down to the lab with a question in his mind and it wasn't about a date. "Keith, how did we manage to cut down those redwood trees with axes in two hours?" The question struck Lance just a few minutes ago and he felt like it was something he had to ask Keith about. "The axes are built to cut down pretty much anything, it took me a long time to make them. The axe blades are made of Riverstone, the strongest material in the 17 realms. Riverstone is named after River Singaria, one of the two saviours of the 17 realms. The other saviour was called 'Error'. Riverstone can cut through anything and no one can lift it unless it's 'Light Riverstone', which like the name says, is light and anyone can lift it. That's how we were able to get that done so fast." Keith smiled and continued examining the fossils.

---3 Hour Later---

Keith had finished his research on the fossils, they were from a T-Rex male. "A T-Rex?" Lance was surprised and Keith was beginning to set up some equipment. "Yep, and I'm going to bring it to life!" Lance was shocked, was Keith really going to bring a dinosaur to life?! "Do you even know how to do that?!" Keith looked at Lance with a look that said 'Oh yes'. "I have the correct equipment, but I've never tested it on anything but my sheep 'Bob'. That sheep lives in a tree and has died many times. Bob the Forth is the most recent one." 

Keith was working on the T-Rex constantly, he decided to name it 'Zarkon' after the galran emperor that Voltron first fought. Of course he could only name it if it worked and he actually brought it to life. "Keith. Bed. Now." Lance was tired of trying to get his stubborn hostess to go to bed. 

Keith liked having female titles such as 'Madam' and 'Lady' but didn't like being called 'she' or 'her'. It was a bit complicated when it came to that. 

"Just a little longer, I'm almost finished." Lance couldn't take much more of this. Lance liked Keith, but not enough to let him stay up all night. "Keithy, bed time now. It's late." Keith blushed at the new nickname Lance had just given him. "Well cutie, you can head off to bed if you want and if you do then once I'm finished, I'll snuggle you." Keith winked at Lance.

Lance gave up and went to bed. Keith snuggled him in bed after he finished his work, just like he said he would. Lance was surprised, he thought Keith had been joking about snuggling him.

---The Next Day---

Keith was successful. Zarkon had just hatched from an egg. Keith had brought a dinosaur back from the dead.

"I can't believe I actually did it!" Keith was so happy, he was practically giving himself a heart attack. "Keith, calm down, before I have to get you to the hospital." Lance stood in the doorway of Keith's bedroom. Keith was getting dressed before heading of to do his chores, Lance was going to help too of course. Keith was so distracted with Zarkon that he would need Lance to help a lot more than normal.

Keith and Lance managed to get the chores done without any complications. They had started to build an exhibit for Zarkon. "Make sure the fencing is strong, a T-Rex is a very strong carnivore." Keith didn't want anyone to get eaten by Zarkon, not on his watch. 

"Ok, fencing's done. Now what?" Lance was tired, but he was willing to continue helping Keith as much as possible. "We rest. Then we start on the plants and the enrichment items, like a den." Keith had dirt on his right cheek from all the hard work in the soil.

Lance looked at Keith, 'He's cute.' was all he could think. He wanted so badly to ask him out on a date. He hoped he wouldn't have to wait much longer...