Chapter 14

Keith was exhausted, as usual. 

He had been given a breeding pair of giraffes, he hadn't asked for them, nor had he been aware of their arrival. Keith had been quite confused when the giraffes suddenly appeared out of the blue, but he knew what it meant, more work. 

The giraffes were called 'Elenore' and 'James', Elenore was already expecting her first baby. 

Keith had to put them in the African quarantine that Ellie had been in not too long ago so he could read his animal file on giraffes.

(the following information, like all my information on animals, is from the books I have. I do not own the information given.)

Giraffes are the tallest land mammal on earth, they can grow up to 4.7m and weigh up to 1930kg. Giraffes have unique patterns, just like tigers and zebra. On average, Giraffes in the wild can live for 25 years. Giraffes necks are used for feeding on leaves that other animals can't reach, males also use their necks to compete for females. The hoof of an adult giraffe (both male and female) are the size of a plate and can kill a lion if they kick it in the face or another vunrable part of the body. Giraffes are killed by poachers, however, they are not currently in danger. Groups of giraffes are not permanent but do happen, giraffes do form small groups and can live peacefully with other giraffes in a zoo. The tongue of a giraffe is 45cm long, and blue.

Keith sighed, he knew that giraffes, like any other animal, needed tons of space to roam and live in. "Things are really starting to get lively here. I can't say i don't like it, but it does mean more and more work. Time to hire some more keepers, perhaps a vet too...I haven't even done any of my chores yet!" Keith was starting to ramble a bit, he was already stressed out with all the work he had to do each day. 

He calmed down after a few minutes and performed an examination on Elenore and James to make sure they were both healthy, he had to check Elenore anyway to see how her pregnancy was going. 

After Keith had finished the examination, he went to go do his chores so he wouldn't forget. 

Keith got his chores done and then went to build a Giraffe exhibit. He got the fence done and started on a barn for the keepers. The barns purpose was for the keepers to easily access supplies and so they can treat any injured or sick giraffes without taking them out of the exhibit, the pen that the giraffe would stay in would also be helpful to keep an eye on a particular giraffe if necessary. 

Keith managed to get most of the barn done before his phone started to ring, when he hung up  after the call, he started to work even harder on the barn. Another interview had been scheduled, for that Sunday. 

The barn was finished by the afternoon, Keith was now working on the giraffe barn. This barn was for the giraffes to sleep in or get some privicy, it would be bigger than the other barn. 

Keith was ready to collapse by the time he had finished the giraffe barn. It was 10:00 pm. 

He went home, got Lynx inside, took a shower, got ready for bed, and passed out before he even got on the bed. 

--The Next Day-- (4 Days Before The Interview)

Keith was back to work on the giraffe exhibit, all his daily chores were finished and he had almost finished the giraffe exhibit. He was surprised at how quickly he was able to build it. 

Once he was done, he released James and Elenore into the exhibit and watched them for a little bit. The peace and quiet ended when Keith checked his phone and saw that there had been a report.

A female red panda known to the Himalayas as 'Hazel' had gotten injured and her home destroyed in a storm. A girl there had overheard some people talk about hunting Hazel. Red pandas were endangered because of poachers, so Keith wasn't about to let those hunters kill Hazel. 

Keith set of for the Himalayas immediately. He didn't have a trailer with him because there were plastic animal crates in the back of the van, each one was big enough to hold small animals such as dogs, cats, skunks, squirrels, birds, etc. 

Once Keith got to the town, he looked around for any sign of red pandas. 

After about an hour of searching, Keith found Hazel...in a very tall tree. "...I can't catch a break can I?" Keith sighed.

It took two hours to get Hazel down from the tree. After the first hour, Keith had looked ready to just cut the tree down or shake her out. Hazel was now in the quarantine for the himalayas at the rescue, Keith was at the Shining Salon. 

When Keith got back, he started to build the red panda exhibit around the area he wanted to eventually have tigers and other asian animals. 

Keith got half the exhibit done before he got a call from Lance, who was back at the house. keith pretty much ran the entire way back home to basically kill Lance for taking so long to get back. 

--2 Hours Later-- 

Keith and Lance were now working together again, but Lance didn't escape a lecture. 

Now the red panda exhibit was almost completely finished. Keith was very much sasisfyed with what had been accomplished in the last two days.

When the red panda exhibit was finished, Keith started building a small house inside the clinic for a vet to stay. This task was a bit harder than exhibits or zookeeper station, but Keith had already gotten the walls and floor done. He was very tired, but he was also very determined. After 3 hours of working, Keith had gotten almost the entire vetinary house done. 

The rescue was growing, and growing fast. 

How much would the rescue grow when Keith had hired more keepers and a vet?