10. Willing Darkness

We ended up in the smaller courtyard on the other side of campus in the middle of the afternoon on a new day, and the temperature was a little colder.

Students were walking by us in their uniforms, not noticing the two of us.

On my left, I recognized the familiar pink haired Renzo Shima in the distance from behind, walking alongside a female student. I didn't recognize her, which came as no surprise as I kept a distance from most of the other female students ever since those group of girls wanted to make me lunch.

'Was she the one that Shima left his friends for?'

"You see them too, right?" Yuri asked me. "The more time that he spends with her, the less time he focuses on the Cram School."

"You're saying he's lost his motivation to fight? Is it to protect her? I mean, does she even know about the existence of demons?" I asked, trying to make sense of the relationship.

"She knows. But she doesn't want to be on the front lines, like Ms. Kamiki's situation with her best friend."

"He definitely looks happy but, I don't know that much about her to know what's going on. He has so much potential..." I said in dismay. 

Behind us, not too far away from where Yuri and I stood, the voices of people arguing had gotten my attention. Several of the nearby students began to gather up in one area, curious to see who was causing such a commotion.

Nearing the area, I was able to hear the voices more clearly in what seemed like a shouting match between Suguro and Konekomaru.

"They still haven't cleared up their situation?" I asked in disbelief with how far this was going.

These two were acting out like I've never seen before. Walking up to them, I was able to hear what they were arguing about.

"What do you think you're doing?! Just like that?! I can't believe you Konekomaru!" Suguro yelled out in his anger.

"I've made up my mind so don't you dare try and stop me! This is the the point where you can't hold me back ANYMORE! You think that you can just decide 'what's best for me' just like that?! Like I can't do anything on my own without you, is that it?!" As he said that, Konekomaru looked completely different.

There was almost something dark about Konekomaru, and it was undeniable to anyone who knew him.

"This, Yukio, is the day Konekomaru left everything behind." Yuri pointed out to me.

I took notice of what she meant, he wasn't wearing the school uniform like everyone else was. With his bags beside him, he had dropped out as a student of True Cross Academy.

"You can't just quit! After ALL that we've been through you're not going to look back?! What kind of sick joke is that?!" Suguro demanded.

"I have my own path... It was YOUR choice to declare you wanted to defeat Satan, I'm not able to go through with that. I'm NOT like you or Shima!"

"You had your own reasons to fight him! For your family! Don't tell me you've forgotten!"

When he mentioned Satan, some of the other students laughed, going unnoticed between the two former friends.

"What is he talking about?"

"Satan he said?"

"He must be joking."

"I think he's finally snapped."

"Are they going to keep talking or fight? Because that's what I wanna see."