The winter took a part of this cold heart that I can never get back

I wish I could show you how beautiful she was.
Like a dark elf. Like the ones in The Lord of the rings, but haunted and cold.
She said that the drugs made her feel alive, but they made her colder than ever.
I longed for her more than anything. I just wanted my Katelyn back.
God, I needed her. I wonder if she ever even noticed that I was there.
The end of the school year was coming fast, we were almost high schoolers. I was terrified, but she didn't care. I'd sometimes go for weeks without a word from her. Sometimes it would be weeks before she'd even show up for school again, and she looked worse every time.
Imagine the person you love most in the whole world, imagine the light in their eyes.
Now imagine it gone.
Imagine their eyes made of steel and ice, staring right through you.
Imagine their skin so worn through by the drugs coursing through their body that you can practically see through it.
Imagine watching the love of your life slowly kill themselves from the inside out.
Words can't say how much I miss her.
Words can't say how much I loved her.
The day I saw her cry, my heart stopped dead in my chest.
I heard the thud as it hit the bottom.
Such a burning pain as I had never felt before surged through me. I tried to open my heart as wide as I could to suck in some of her pain, make it my own so that she wouldn't have to suffer anymore.
My wintergirl was falling under and I couldn't help her because I was in too deep myself.
No one heard her screams except me.
No one saw the blood.
I sobbed silently into the cold air as I saw her sink beneath the snow forever.
She was gone.