3

Merlin tried to make small talk, and although Johnson wasn't ignoring him, he wasn't really making much of an effort to be friendly either. Luckily, Merlin was not dissuaded.

"What do you like to do for fun?" he asked.

"Work."

"Other than work?"

"Read."

"What do you like to read?"

"Cold case files." This had to be the most boring person on the planet, but Merlin kept at it.

"What's your favorite?"

"My favorite what?"

"Cold case, or any case, of any temperature." It had been a joke. Johnson didn't laugh. Merlin merged onto the freeway. 

"I don't have one. I look through cold cases to try and solve them." This was going to be a long drive.

"Have you ever solved one?"

"Once."

"Cool. What was it?"

"A cold case." Merlin was about ready to scream, but then he noticed that Johnson was trying not to smile.

"You're messing with me aren't you?" Johnson smirked slightly.

"You were making it so easy."

"I was trying to make conversation."

"And I was gauging your reactions to my non-answers."

"You were profiling me."

"Sorry. It's a habit."

"What do you see oh wise one?" Merlin asked, rolling his eyes.

"You hide behind humor. You are overly friendly when you don't trust someone, and we're going heading to Scotland, which is where you were born, or at least where you grew up. There's no hesitation in your turns, and why else would you keep a medieval sword there? You also really hate profilers."

"What makes you say that?"

"As soon as I started talking about everything I had learned your hands clenched around the wheel."

"I don't like people in my head."

"Not many people do. You also know more about this case than you're letting on."

"Do I?"

"Yes, and you're scared."

"You can stop now."

"Sorry." Merlin didn't reply. They would have driven the rest of the way in silence, but Merlin couldn't actually stand silence, so he started the conversation again pretty quickly. 

"Where are you from?"

"Berkeley, California."

"That's nice. Did you go to school at CAL?" Johnson laughed.

"I didn't want to be anywhere near CAL. It was three blocks from where I went to high school, and that was much to close for comfort." Merlin chuckled.

"Fair enough."

"I went to NYU." Merlin nodded appreciatively.

"Good school. What'd you major in?"

"Theater." Merlin snorted, thinking the man was joking. He looked over, keeping one eye on the road and saw that Johnson was blushing slightly.

"You're not joking?" Johnson shook his head. "Then what happened? Why aren't you on Broadway right now?" Johnson rolled his eyes.